Dec 18, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
Darrell Arthur came into his own last season. After injuries plagued his first two seasons, Arthur emerged as a legitimate weapon for the Grizzlies. He spent an inordinate amount of time working on his mid-range last year and became the Grizzlies’ best pick-and-pop weapon. When the Spurs decided in the playoffs to pick their poison and let Arthur shoot, he buried them with it. He’s been on his way to being a great NBA power forward.
And then, of course, that story unraveled Saturday. From the Commercial Appeal:
Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur left practice this morning with a serious Achilles injury and the fear is that he might be lost for the entire 2011-12 season, according to sources with knowledge of situation.
An early diagnosis by the team’s medical staff indicated that Arthur might have suffered a torn right Achilles. The 6-9 reserve had just returned to practice after missing time with a sore left Achilles.
For the Grizzlies, things might get desperate. A trade of O.J. Mayo for Josh McRoberts fell through and McRoberts signed with the Lakers. The Grizzlies have needed a backup big before Arthur went down. Now the situation becomes dire as the team will either have to sign a veteran minute-filler or try to find somewhere else to send Mayo.
For Arthur, a promising young career suffers another setback and worse, Arthur is set to enter restricted free agency this summer. Hopefully the injury isn’t as severe as early reports indicate. If so it’s unfortunate for everyone involved.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris