Dec 18, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
Darrell Arthur came into his own last season. After injuries plagued his first two seasons, Arthur emerged as a legitimate weapon for the Grizzlies. He spent an inordinate amount of time working on his mid-range last year and became the Grizzlies’ best pick-and-pop weapon. When the Spurs decided in the playoffs to pick their poison and let Arthur shoot, he buried them with it. He’s been on his way to being a great NBA power forward.
And then, of course, that story unraveled Saturday. From the Commercial Appeal:
Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur left practice this morning with a serious Achilles injury and the fear is that he might be lost for the entire 2011-12 season, according to sources with knowledge of situation.
An early diagnosis by the team’s medical staff indicated that Arthur might have suffered a torn right Achilles. The 6-9 reserve had just returned to practice after missing time with a sore left Achilles.
For the Grizzlies, things might get desperate. A trade of O.J. Mayo for Josh McRoberts fell through and McRoberts signed with the Lakers. The Grizzlies have needed a backup big before Arthur went down. Now the situation becomes dire as the team will either have to sign a veteran minute-filler or try to find somewhere else to send Mayo.
For Arthur, a promising young career suffers another setback and worse, Arthur is set to enter restricted free agency this summer. Hopefully the injury isn’t as severe as early reports indicate. If so it’s unfortunate for everyone involved.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50