Dec 18, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
Darrell Arthur came into his own last season. After injuries plagued his first two seasons, Arthur emerged as a legitimate weapon for the Grizzlies. He spent an inordinate amount of time working on his mid-range last year and became the Grizzlies’ best pick-and-pop weapon. When the Spurs decided in the playoffs to pick their poison and let Arthur shoot, he buried them with it. He’s been on his way to being a great NBA power forward.
And then, of course, that story unraveled Saturday. From the Commercial Appeal:
Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur left practice this morning with a serious Achilles injury and the fear is that he might be lost for the entire 2011-12 season, according to sources with knowledge of situation.
An early diagnosis by the team’s medical staff indicated that Arthur might have suffered a torn right Achilles. The 6-9 reserve had just returned to practice after missing time with a sore left Achilles.
For the Grizzlies, things might get desperate. A trade of O.J. Mayo for Josh McRoberts fell through and McRoberts signed with the Lakers. The Grizzlies have needed a backup big before Arthur went down. Now the situation becomes dire as the team will either have to sign a veteran minute-filler or try to find somewhere else to send Mayo.
For Arthur, a promising young career suffers another setback and worse, Arthur is set to enter restricted free agency this summer. Hopefully the injury isn’t as severe as early reports indicate. If so it’s unfortunate for everyone involved.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18