Dec 18, 2011, 5:39 PM EST
Darrell Arthur came into his own last season. After injuries plagued his first two seasons, Arthur emerged as a legitimate weapon for the Grizzlies. He spent an inordinate amount of time working on his mid-range last year and became the Grizzlies’ best pick-and-pop weapon. When the Spurs decided in the playoffs to pick their poison and let Arthur shoot, he buried them with it. He’s been on his way to being a great NBA power forward.
And then, of course, that story unraveled Saturday. From the Commercial Appeal:
Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur left practice this morning with a serious Achilles injury and the fear is that he might be lost for the entire 2011-12 season, according to sources with knowledge of situation.
An early diagnosis by the team’s medical staff indicated that Arthur might have suffered a torn right Achilles. The 6-9 reserve had just returned to practice after missing time with a sore left Achilles.
For the Grizzlies, things might get desperate. A trade of O.J. Mayo for Josh McRoberts fell through and McRoberts signed with the Lakers. The Grizzlies have needed a backup big before Arthur went down. Now the situation becomes dire as the team will either have to sign a veteran minute-filler or try to find somewhere else to send Mayo.
For Arthur, a promising young career suffers another setback and worse, Arthur is set to enter restricted free agency this summer. Hopefully the injury isn’t as severe as early reports indicate. If so it’s unfortunate for everyone involved.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28