Dec 17, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
What really matters in all of this is that Jeff Green will be fine and next season will return to the NBA. That is what is important.
But Green being out for the entire NBA season following heart surgery leaves the Boston Celtics in a bind. Green was key to their chances this season — he was the sixth man, the energy off the bench, the guy who was going to pick up the scoring, play hard defense (which was a concern) and let Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett get some rest in a condensed season that is going to be hard on older legs (at 6’8” Green could play either forward spot).
But Boston is going to have a tough time brining in quality at this point, according to A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Because the C’s are well over the league salary cap of about $58 million, the only thing they can offer free agents is a veteran minimum contract.
And the market, as one NBA executive told CSNNE.com on Saturday, is “extremely thin….”
However, some if not all of them may bet larger money offers elsewhere.
Boston is mostly going to have to make due with the guys on the roster, which means Bass, Pavlovic and Daniels are going to have to have big years if the Celtics are to get anywhere near their goals.
We knew reaching those goals would be tough for Boston and that injuries would play a factor. We just didn’t expect Green to be the one that is out.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 12
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful