Dec 17, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
What really matters in all of this is that Jeff Green will be fine and next season will return to the NBA. That is what is important.
But Green being out for the entire NBA season following heart surgery leaves the Boston Celtics in a bind. Green was key to their chances this season — he was the sixth man, the energy off the bench, the guy who was going to pick up the scoring, play hard defense (which was a concern) and let Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett get some rest in a condensed season that is going to be hard on older legs (at 6’8” Green could play either forward spot).
But Boston is going to have a tough time brining in quality at this point, according to A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Because the C’s are well over the league salary cap of about $58 million, the only thing they can offer free agents is a veteran minimum contract.
And the market, as one NBA executive told CSNNE.com on Saturday, is “extremely thin….”
However, some if not all of them may bet larger money offers elsewhere.
Boston is mostly going to have to make due with the guys on the roster, which means Bass, Pavlovic and Daniels are going to have to have big years if the Celtics are to get anywhere near their goals.
We knew reaching those goals would be tough for Boston and that injuries would play a factor. We just didn’t expect Green to be the one that is out.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 0
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 35
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 14
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3