Dec 17, 2011, 11:12 PM EST
The following is a sentence-by-sentence explanation of a basketball transaction. Please forgive the one-line paragraphs in pursuit of novelty.
The Kings today grabbed Travis Outlaw off the amnesty wire.
Outlaw was not very good for the Nets last year, that’s why they used the amnesty clause on him.
In fact, he was so bad he had an 8.8 PER last year, which is nearly half the average for any player.
So why did the Kings acquire him, then?
Because it was cheap, and they had a hole at backup small forward, and it worked out that way.
As part of the amnesty process, the Kings simply had to bid when no one else did, or at least bid more than any other team, and take on a small portion of his remaining salary.
This is what many people call “bargain shopping.”
It’s very similar to the way my wife will come home with something that was once pristine but now has a gaping hole in it, a massive scratch, or a large dent, and then say “Look at the deal I got!”
Thing is, though, one of those objects still exists as my entertainment center.
TV hasn’t fallen yet, knock on wood.
Not that wood, because it’ll splinter and my TV will fall and I’ll have to punch you, but still, you get my point.
This is the holiday season, a time for forgiving, so maybe the is a chance for Outlaw to get a second chance.
After all, he was pretty good in Portland for a while.
Maybe it’s a time zone thing.
In conclusion, Iman Shumpert.
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 0
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 7
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 14
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)