Dec 16, 2011, 10:53 AM EDT
For months now, we kept hearing Bismack Biyombo and everyone around the Charlotte draftee say that he could get out of his contract with his Spanish team and would be a Bobcat this year.
But Fuenlabrada, the Spanish club in question, wants the full buyout in Biyombo’s contract — and the Spanish courts agreed with him.
Spanish team Fuenlabrada said that the value of Bobcats draftee Bismack Biyombo is… $4M: 1.2 as buyout+federal rights till Dec.2014+fine for having missed 4games and 64practices to workout in NBA before ACB playoffs
In addition, international basketball governing body FIBA ruled against Biyombo’s request to get out of his deal. The Bobcats can pay only $500,000 toward Biyombo’s buyout, he would have to come up with the rest himself. Can’t really blame Fuenlabrada for wanting the full buyout.
This is the last year of his deal, he will be with the Bobcats next season. And while Biyombo is physically impressive and athletic — he put up a triple-double at the Nike Hoops Summit — he is raw, so another year in Spain is not all bad.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43