Dec 16, 2011, 10:53 AM EDT
For months now, we kept hearing Bismack Biyombo and everyone around the Charlotte draftee say that he could get out of his contract with his Spanish team and would be a Bobcat this year.
But Fuenlabrada, the Spanish club in question, wants the full buyout in Biyombo’s contract — and the Spanish courts agreed with him.
Spanish team Fuenlabrada said that the value of Bobcats draftee Bismack Biyombo is… $4M: 1.2 as buyout+federal rights till Dec.2014+fine for having missed 4games and 64practices to workout in NBA before ACB playoffs
In addition, international basketball governing body FIBA ruled against Biyombo’s request to get out of his deal. The Bobcats can pay only $500,000 toward Biyombo’s buyout, he would have to come up with the rest himself. Can’t really blame Fuenlabrada for wanting the full buyout.
This is the last year of his deal, he will be with the Bobcats next season. And while Biyombo is physically impressive and athletic — he put up a triple-double at the Nike Hoops Summit — he is raw, so another year in Spain is not all bad.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 8
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 40
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3