Dec 16, 2011, 9:04 PM EST
This has been in the works for a little while, Vanessa signed the papers on Dec. 1, Kobe responded on Dec. 7. The papers were filed on Friday in Orange County with Vanessa citing irreconcilable differences.
We know your mind just flashed back to Eagle, Colo., and the sexual assault charge from 2003, but that was eight years ago and she stuck with him through that. There are rumors of infidelity, but we don’t know what really went on inside the Bryant household that led to this, all we really know is this can’t be easy for their two young daughters, ages 5 and 8.
The couple released a statement.
“The Bryants have resolved all issues incident to their divorce privately with the assistance of counsel and a Judgment dissolving their marital status will be entered in 2012. We ask that in the interest of our young children and in light of the upcoming holiday season the public respect our privacy during this difficult time.”
For you gold diggers out there, Kobe has made more than $180 million in salary and is estimated to be worth about $360 million by CNBC’s Darren Rovell. The couple reportedly did not have a prenuptial agreement. So whatever the settlement was, Vanessa and the girls will be well taken care of.
They met in 1999 when Kobe was 21 and Vanessa 18 on the set of a music video. They wed two years later.
No jokes or snide remarks from me. Divorce with young children in the family is never a laughing matter.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 10
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 13
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 21
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 7
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18