Dec 16, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
This has been in the works for a little while, Vanessa signed the papers on Dec. 1, Kobe responded on Dec. 7. The papers were filed on Friday in Orange County with Vanessa citing irreconcilable differences.
We know your mind just flashed back to Eagle, Colo., and the sexual assault charge from 2003, but that was eight years ago and she stuck with him through that. There are rumors of infidelity, but we don’t know what really went on inside the Bryant household that led to this, all we really know is this can’t be easy for their two young daughters, ages 5 and 8.
The couple released a statement.
“The Bryants have resolved all issues incident to their divorce privately with the assistance of counsel and a Judgment dissolving their marital status will be entered in 2012. We ask that in the interest of our young children and in light of the upcoming holiday season the public respect our privacy during this difficult time.”
For you gold diggers out there, Kobe has made more than $180 million in salary and is estimated to be worth about $360 million by CNBC’s Darren Rovell. The couple reportedly did not have a prenuptial agreement. So whatever the settlement was, Vanessa and the girls will be well taken care of.
They met in 1999 when Kobe was 21 and Vanessa 18 on the set of a music video. They wed two years later.
No jokes or snide remarks from me. Divorce with young children in the family is never a laughing matter.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 7
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 26
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 80
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 53
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4