Dec 16, 2011, 9:04 PM EST
This has been in the works for a little while, Vanessa signed the papers on Dec. 1, Kobe responded on Dec. 7. The papers were filed on Friday in Orange County with Vanessa citing irreconcilable differences.
We know your mind just flashed back to Eagle, Colo., and the sexual assault charge from 2003, but that was eight years ago and she stuck with him through that. There are rumors of infidelity, but we don’t know what really went on inside the Bryant household that led to this, all we really know is this can’t be easy for their two young daughters, ages 5 and 8.
The couple released a statement.
“The Bryants have resolved all issues incident to their divorce privately with the assistance of counsel and a Judgment dissolving their marital status will be entered in 2012. We ask that in the interest of our young children and in light of the upcoming holiday season the public respect our privacy during this difficult time.”
For you gold diggers out there, Kobe has made more than $180 million in salary and is estimated to be worth about $360 million by CNBC’s Darren Rovell. The couple reportedly did not have a prenuptial agreement. So whatever the settlement was, Vanessa and the girls will be well taken care of.
They met in 1999 when Kobe was 21 and Vanessa 18 on the set of a music video. They wed two years later.
No jokes or snide remarks from me. Divorce with young children in the family is never a laughing matter.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)