Dwight Howard says he has not withdrawn trade request

Dec 16, 2011, 1:34 AM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

The Orlando Magic may not be shopping Dwight Howard around, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to be shopped.

Howard said Thursday his trade request is still on the table, the day after Magic GM Otis Smith said that Howard was off the trading block for now. After that, Howard worked hard to dodge all conversation about being traded.

“Right now me and Otis are gonna continue to try to make this team better,” he said. “And I’m gonna do my part on the court. That’s the reason I’m here. To get our team better and to make myself a better leader for this team.”

The problem is there are serious questions about how much better this team can get, with or without his leadership, which is why he wants to be traded.

Howard is going to try to dodge similar trade question every day until he is moved now. Smith said what he did to throw some cold water on the process, to give himself time to craft deals he wants rather than to have offers thrown at him. Oh, and to see if Howard might be persuaded to change his mind. (Orlando was on Howard’s list of four places he would sign an extension, along with Dallas, New Jersey and with the Los Angeles Lakers.)

Bottom line, the request is still on the table and the Magic’s options are limited.

1. marquez722 - Dec 16, 2011 at 2:05 AM

I think you mean Dallas why would NY want Howard

2. dirksimmons - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Dwight…how can we take you seriously when Chicago is not on your list and New Jersey is? Come on, man.

3. jagwar73 - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Dwight…why can’t you win in Orlando? Don’t follow Shaq…FAs will come.

• thatboi901 - Dec 16, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Don’t follow Garnett either. Leave and get your title while you young.

4. edweird0 - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:35 AM

“There’s no back and forth,” Howard said. “It still stands and we know what’s going on. I talked to Otis today. What we talked about is gonna stay between me and him….”

A.K.A He knows what’s up, either way I’m gettin’ mine.

5. jerseyfinatic - Dec 16, 2011 at 7:04 AM

“(would sign an extension, along with New York, New Jersey and with the Los Angeles Lakers.)” when did NYK get into this mess?!? What happened to the Dallas mavericks?

6. reupjosh - Dec 16, 2011 at 7:49 AM

If he’s about winning, he should sign with Chicago. The celebrity endorsements will come once he starts winning titles. Mike didn’t do too bad, playing in Chicago.

7. marquez722 - Dec 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM

U ment Dallas not NY

• Kurt Helin - Dec 16, 2011 at 6:06 PM

You are correct, it is Dallas. Just my typo.

8. mgscott - Dec 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, Not 4, Not 5..

9. mistercharitystripe34 - Dec 16, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Strange that the Bulls aren’t one of his desired destinations. They have the assets to trade for Dwight, and he should be thinking “I’d be playing in the 3rd largest market in the US alongside the reigning league MVP. Hmm…”

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches