Dec 16, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Chauncey Billups is in.
He threatened retirement if someone he didn’t like picked him up on waivers after the Knicks used the amnesty rule on him (to free up room for Tyson Chandler). The Clippers took a chance and submitted a bid on him.
At his introductory press conference, Billups said he was in and gave a backhanded compliment to the Clippers (as reported at ESPNLosAngeles.com).
“I’m a Clipper, and I’m happy to be here. It could have been much worse. This is a really good situation. I think these guys are ready to take the next leap and I think I can be a part of that.”
The Clippers backcourt is going to be an interesting mix — Billups reiterated that he is a point guard, but even the five-time All Star is the second best PG on this team now thanks to Chris Paul. This is going to make the Clippers kind of a two-pronged attack, two guys who can run the pick-and-roll as ball handler, but with Billups playing more off the ball. (One would assume, but coach Vinny Del Negro tried to have Derrick Rose play off the ball more in Chicago, so we’re not going to put anything past him.)
What Billups said is that after all this he just wants to be settled, as Eric Pincus passed along at Hoopsworld.
“To be honest, it’s been a really long last year for me,” said Billups. “The whole Melo-drama in Denver and going from that and getting traded, when I never really thought I would be; and then embracing that whole situation in New York, going through the lockout which was strenuous and then coming back and just being waived was something that I never thought was going to happen.”
Billups admitted he contemplated retirement, but really he didn’t want to walk away from the game.
The Clippers are a young team that can be very, very good in a couple years if they learn how to win (and if Clippers management brings in good role players). Billups knows what it takes to get there, how to win, how play in the big moments this team is going to start to see. He can speed up the learning curve. It’s just one of the reasons this is a great get for the Clippers.
And Billups is in.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31