Dec 16, 2011, 4:50 PM EST
Chauncey Billups is in.
He threatened retirement if someone he didn’t like picked him up on waivers after the Knicks used the amnesty rule on him (to free up room for Tyson Chandler). The Clippers took a chance and submitted a bid on him.
At his introductory press conference, Billups said he was in and gave a backhanded compliment to the Clippers (as reported at ESPNLosAngeles.com).
“I’m a Clipper, and I’m happy to be here. It could have been much worse. This is a really good situation. I think these guys are ready to take the next leap and I think I can be a part of that.”
The Clippers backcourt is going to be an interesting mix — Billups reiterated that he is a point guard, but even the five-time All Star is the second best PG on this team now thanks to Chris Paul. This is going to make the Clippers kind of a two-pronged attack, two guys who can run the pick-and-roll as ball handler, but with Billups playing more off the ball. (One would assume, but coach Vinny Del Negro tried to have Derrick Rose play off the ball more in Chicago, so we’re not going to put anything past him.)
What Billups said is that after all this he just wants to be settled, as Eric Pincus passed along at Hoopsworld.
“To be honest, it’s been a really long last year for me,” said Billups. “The whole Melo-drama in Denver and going from that and getting traded, when I never really thought I would be; and then embracing that whole situation in New York, going through the lockout which was strenuous and then coming back and just being waived was something that I never thought was going to happen.”
Billups admitted he contemplated retirement, but really he didn’t want to walk away from the game.
The Clippers are a young team that can be very, very good in a couple years if they learn how to win (and if Clippers management brings in good role players). Billups knows what it takes to get there, how to win, how play in the big moments this team is going to start to see. He can speed up the learning curve. It’s just one of the reasons this is a great get for the Clippers.
And Billups is in.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 24
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)