Dec 14, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
What is Rodney Stuckey worth?
Stuckey is the point guard of the future in Detroit and wanted to be paid big money. Like $10 million a year. But the Pistons have offered a five-year deal in the $40 million to $45 million range — $8 to $9 million a year.
So we are at an impasse, reports Chad Ford at ESPN.
Stuckey’s representatives, seeking an even bigger deal, have been contacting other teams the past few days, looking to broker a sign-and-trade deal. However, the Pistons are telling teams they won’t agree to one, sources said.
If the impasse continues, Stuckey’s representatives are threatening to take the Pistons’ one-year, $3.87 million qualifying offer, which would make him an unrestricted free agent in 2012.
For some comparison, Mike Conley of the Grizzlies got five years, $40 million. Stuckey is a more dynamic offensive player and scorer who can create his own shot, although Conley really matured last year in the role of on-the-court organizer for a team with a lot of talent. Conley also spaces the floor better because he is a threat from three (Stuckey shot 28 percent from deep last year).
So it comes back to, what is Stuckey worth? I think the high end of that Pistons offer is fair, but if he wants more he can take the qualifying offer and test the market next summer.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47