Dec 14, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
What is Rodney Stuckey worth?
Stuckey is the point guard of the future in Detroit and wanted to be paid big money. Like $10 million a year. But the Pistons have offered a five-year deal in the $40 million to $45 million range — $8 to $9 million a year.
So we are at an impasse, reports Chad Ford at ESPN.
Stuckey’s representatives, seeking an even bigger deal, have been contacting other teams the past few days, looking to broker a sign-and-trade deal. However, the Pistons are telling teams they won’t agree to one, sources said.
If the impasse continues, Stuckey’s representatives are threatening to take the Pistons’ one-year, $3.87 million qualifying offer, which would make him an unrestricted free agent in 2012.
For some comparison, Mike Conley of the Grizzlies got five years, $40 million. Stuckey is a more dynamic offensive player and scorer who can create his own shot, although Conley really matured last year in the role of on-the-court organizer for a team with a lot of talent. Conley also spaces the floor better because he is a threat from three (Stuckey shot 28 percent from deep last year).
So it comes back to, what is Stuckey worth? I think the high end of that Pistons offer is fair, but if he wants more he can take the qualifying offer and test the market next summer.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9