Dec 14, 2011, 2:53 PM EDT
Rip has cleared waivers. Sounds like he’ll be at Bulls practice on Thursday after 2/$10M deal is finalized.
It could be three years, $15 million, the Associated Press reports. That seems like a lot of years from where I sit for a 33-year-old this season who is already showing decline in his game.
Joakim Noah said this about Rip.
“I think (Hamilton) would be a great addition to our team,” Noah said. “He’s obviously a hell of a player, but Ronnie’s (Brewer) been having a great camp right now.”
This is different than what happened to Chauncey Billups because he was amnestied by the Knicks, which meant the Clippers, who were under the salary cap, put in a bid on Billups and only had to take on part of his salary. Because Hamilton was a buyout if you claimed him on waivers you had to pay the full contract price. Nobody wanted to do that so he is a free agent.
And he was always destined for the Bulls if that happened. This is not the 2005 Hamilton, but he doesn’t need to be, what his is right now is a serious upgrade at a need position for the Bulls. Hamilton gave 14.1 points a game to the Pistons and shot 38.2 percent from three last season. That kind of production from the two guard would be huge for the Bulls, suggests Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
But as for Hamilton’s actual impact in the Windy City, expect the Coatesville, Pa. native to be rejuvenated as he’s on a title contender — as opposed to the past couple of lottery-bound, turmoil-ridden campaigns in Motown — although it’s unlikely that at 33-years-old (34 in February), he can match his prior All-Star level production. Nor is that necessary.
The Chicago Bulls are about to get better. That is bad news for every other team in the East.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 24
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 4
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 59
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6