Dec 14, 2011, 2:53 PM EST
Rip has cleared waivers. Sounds like he’ll be at Bulls practice on Thursday after 2/$10M deal is finalized.
It could be three years, $15 million, the Associated Press reports. That seems like a lot of years from where I sit for a 33-year-old this season who is already showing decline in his game.
Joakim Noah said this about Rip.
“I think (Hamilton) would be a great addition to our team,” Noah said. “He’s obviously a hell of a player, but Ronnie’s (Brewer) been having a great camp right now.”
This is different than what happened to Chauncey Billups because he was amnestied by the Knicks, which meant the Clippers, who were under the salary cap, put in a bid on Billups and only had to take on part of his salary. Because Hamilton was a buyout if you claimed him on waivers you had to pay the full contract price. Nobody wanted to do that so he is a free agent.
And he was always destined for the Bulls if that happened. This is not the 2005 Hamilton, but he doesn’t need to be, what his is right now is a serious upgrade at a need position for the Bulls. Hamilton gave 14.1 points a game to the Pistons and shot 38.2 percent from three last season. That kind of production from the two guard would be huge for the Bulls, suggests Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
But as for Hamilton’s actual impact in the Windy City, expect the Coatesville, Pa. native to be rejuvenated as he’s on a title contender — as opposed to the past couple of lottery-bound, turmoil-ridden campaigns in Motown — although it’s unlikely that at 33-years-old (34 in February), he can match his prior All-Star level production. Nor is that necessary.
The Chicago Bulls are about to get better. That is bad news for every other team in the East.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13