Dec 14, 2011, 2:26 AM EDT
In the end, there will be no trade of Dwight Howard until the Orlando Magic are completely and utterly convinced that they cannot sign him to stay, and then that they got the best possible deal they could for him. Neither of those things are going to happen before Dec. 25.
But should the Magic ever read the writing on the wall — Howard did ask to be traded — the Nets may be the team with the best offer to get him.
That’s because a multi-team deal seems to be coming together, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Talks between the Orlando Magic and New Jersey Nets for a Dwight Howard blockbuster trade have gathered momentum over the past several days, and the framework of a possible four-team deal has taken shape, league sources told Yahoo! Sports….
No deal was imminent, but several league sources said talks were entering a crucial time, and the Nets were trying to get the proposal’s complex framework completed in the near future. Magic GM Otis Smith has been working with (Nets GM Billy) King on the possible deal. Orlando has also been listening to overtures elsewhere in the NBA, sources said.
Howard reportedly narrowed his list of places he would sign an extension to four places: New Jersey, Dallas, Los Angeles Lakers and Orlando.
At its core, the Nets’ offer would still involve Howard going to the Nets, along with Hedo Turkoglu.
The Magic are patient. They see their name on that list of possible extension locations and even though GM Smith realizes he has about the same chance of getting a date with Halle Barry he can’t give up the hope of keeping Howard. The suitors will be there whenever. Let some team panic and up their bid.
But when the Magic do realize it’s time, the Nets are going to be standing front and center.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 40
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 17
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20