Dec 14, 2011, 3:26 PM EST
On Christmas day the Dallas Mavericks will raise a championship banner to the rafters — while LeBron James and the Heat look on — but they will not get championship rings. That will come later.
A few players had a little more say than others. Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and Shawn Marion all had a hand in on the final choice. Cuban admitted that when he initially asked Nowitzki and Kidd how much they wanted him to spend on the rings, they responded $150,000-$200,000 each.
Unfortunately for them, that’s against league rules.
“I’m like, ‘OK, you do know the NBA has a limit on how much we can spend, right?’ And it’s not 150 grand, trust me,” Cuban said. “I’m not going to tell you the exact amount but it’s nowhere near. The NBA, because they don’t want salary cap violations, puts a limit on how much you can spend on any given ring for any player.”
I had no idea there were league rules on how much you could spend on a championship ring. I bet only Phil Jackson knew that.
So the Mavericks are not going to spend that much, but you still know the thing will have enough bling to ‘lil Wayne double take.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8