Dec 14, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
On Christmas day the Dallas Mavericks will raise a championship banner to the rafters — while LeBron James and the Heat look on — but they will not get championship rings. That will come later.
A few players had a little more say than others. Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and Shawn Marion all had a hand in on the final choice. Cuban admitted that when he initially asked Nowitzki and Kidd how much they wanted him to spend on the rings, they responded $150,000-$200,000 each.
Unfortunately for them, that’s against league rules.
“I’m like, ‘OK, you do know the NBA has a limit on how much we can spend, right?’ And it’s not 150 grand, trust me,” Cuban said. “I’m not going to tell you the exact amount but it’s nowhere near. The NBA, because they don’t want salary cap violations, puts a limit on how much you can spend on any given ring for any player.”
I had no idea there were league rules on how much you could spend on a championship ring. I bet only Phil Jackson knew that.
So the Mavericks are not going to spend that much, but you still know the thing will have enough bling to ‘lil Wayne double take.
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 6
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 48
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16