Dec 14, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
On Christmas day the Dallas Mavericks will raise a championship banner to the rafters — while LeBron James and the Heat look on — but they will not get championship rings. That will come later.
A few players had a little more say than others. Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and Shawn Marion all had a hand in on the final choice. Cuban admitted that when he initially asked Nowitzki and Kidd how much they wanted him to spend on the rings, they responded $150,000-$200,000 each.
Unfortunately for them, that’s against league rules.
“I’m like, ‘OK, you do know the NBA has a limit on how much we can spend, right?’ And it’s not 150 grand, trust me,” Cuban said. “I’m not going to tell you the exact amount but it’s nowhere near. The NBA, because they don’t want salary cap violations, puts a limit on how much you can spend on any given ring for any player.”
I had no idea there were league rules on how much you could spend on a championship ring. I bet only Phil Jackson knew that.
So the Mavericks are not going to spend that much, but you still know the thing will have enough bling to ‘lil Wayne double take.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32