Dec 14, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
On Christmas day the Dallas Mavericks will raise a championship banner to the rafters — while LeBron James and the Heat look on — but they will not get championship rings. That will come later.
A few players had a little more say than others. Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and Shawn Marion all had a hand in on the final choice. Cuban admitted that when he initially asked Nowitzki and Kidd how much they wanted him to spend on the rings, they responded $150,000-$200,000 each.
Unfortunately for them, that’s against league rules.
“I’m like, ‘OK, you do know the NBA has a limit on how much we can spend, right?’ And it’s not 150 grand, trust me,” Cuban said. “I’m not going to tell you the exact amount but it’s nowhere near. The NBA, because they don’t want salary cap violations, puts a limit on how much you can spend on any given ring for any player.”
I had no idea there were league rules on how much you could spend on a championship ring. I bet only Phil Jackson knew that.
So the Mavericks are not going to spend that much, but you still know the thing will have enough bling to ‘lil Wayne double take.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 15
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 16
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80