Dec 14, 2011, 11:52 AM EDT
Second year player Derrick Caracter has torn the meniscus on his left knee and is set to undergo surgery on Wednesday according to Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times (and other reports out of Lakers camp). There is no timetable for his recovery yet, but don’t expect to see him until after the All-Star break at best.
The Lakers were looking to add front line help this season to keep the minutes down for Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, and Caracter was going to get a chance to prove he could contribute. But with this injury and the Odom trade, they remain thin up front. And without much cap space to go get more talent.
We all keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with a big Lakers move. But while we wait it should be pointed out that while L.A.’s starting five is still very impressive their second unit is Steve Blake, Jason Kapono, Josh McRoberts, Matt Barnes (or Gerald Green) and Theo Ratliff. With the condensed schedule this season depth will matter more than ever and the Lakers don’t really have it.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 12
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50