Dec 14, 2011, 11:52 AM EDT
Second year player Derrick Caracter has torn the meniscus on his left knee and is set to undergo surgery on Wednesday according to Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times (and other reports out of Lakers camp). There is no timetable for his recovery yet, but don’t expect to see him until after the All-Star break at best.
The Lakers were looking to add front line help this season to keep the minutes down for Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, and Caracter was going to get a chance to prove he could contribute. But with this injury and the Odom trade, they remain thin up front. And without much cap space to go get more talent.
We all keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with a big Lakers move. But while we wait it should be pointed out that while L.A.’s starting five is still very impressive their second unit is Steve Blake, Jason Kapono, Josh McRoberts, Matt Barnes (or Gerald Green) and Theo Ratliff. With the condensed schedule this season depth will matter more than ever and the Lakers don’t really have it.
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 32
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 6
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 65
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19