Dec 14, 2011, 11:52 AM EDT
Second year player Derrick Caracter has torn the meniscus on his left knee and is set to undergo surgery on Wednesday according to Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times (and other reports out of Lakers camp). There is no timetable for his recovery yet, but don’t expect to see him until after the All-Star break at best.
The Lakers were looking to add front line help this season to keep the minutes down for Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, and Caracter was going to get a chance to prove he could contribute. But with this injury and the Odom trade, they remain thin up front. And without much cap space to go get more talent.
We all keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with a big Lakers move. But while we wait it should be pointed out that while L.A.’s starting five is still very impressive their second unit is Steve Blake, Jason Kapono, Josh McRoberts, Matt Barnes (or Gerald Green) and Theo Ratliff. With the condensed schedule this season depth will matter more than ever and the Lakers don’t really have it.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 54
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 35
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights