Dec 14, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
Jamal Crawford has narrowed his free agent choice to two teams, according to multiple reports. Portland and Sacramento have emerged as the leading candidates to land Crawford’s services, after the Knicks and Pacers were reportedly also in the chase.
It’s unclear if the Knicks made an official offer, but Crawford did reject one worth $10 million over two years from the Pacers. That’s the ballpark that the Kings and Blazers are reportedly playing in, so the decision will presumably come down to things like the city, the organization, and how big of a role in the offense Crawford will play on his new team.
The Kings would seem to be a curious choice — not from Crawford’s standpoint, as he would likely get the bulk of the minutes if he did choose Sacramento, but from that of the organization.
Why would you throw additional money at the two-guard spot, where you just signed the extremely effective Marcus Thornton to a reasonable $31 million over four years? Forgetting the Thornton signing, the team drafted Jimmer Fredette, who is someone it most certainly will want to give a chance in that very same slot. And failing all of those options, the team traded for yet another score-first guard in John Salmons.
The pursuit of Crawford is indeed a curious one for the Kings. Which may be why at least one of the team’s fans is taking to Twitter in a hilarious attempt to dissuade Crawford from coming to Sacramento.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4