Dec 14, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Taking a page out of the Orlando Magic (and before them Denver Nuggets) playbook, when major talks stall out New Orleans Hornets GM Dell Demps says he is in no rush to make a decision.
Chris Paul trade talks between the Hornets and Los Angeles Clippers have stalled out, according to David Aldridge at NBA.com. He says that the hang up is the usual — the league wants both Eric Gordon and Minnesota’s unprotected first round pick, the Clippers don’t want to give up both (plus Chris Kaman, Eric Bledsoe and Al-Farouq Aminu). The Times-Picayune says the Hornets have backed off their demands for Gordon. Other reports say Mo Williams and Trevor Ariza are now part of the talks.
And that’s just the Clippers side of the equation. Remember the Lakers are trying to put together a three-team deal to lure Paul. The third team would provide younger players and picks that the league seems to covet in any deal for Paul.
Who knows exactly what is going on? With this trade we’d need Fox Mulder to help us figure out what is the truth and what is some league-wide conspiracy concocted by the Smoking Man.
What all sides seem to agree on is that things have slowed down. So Demps spun to the Associated Press that is what he wanted.
Hornets’ general manager Dell Demps says New Orleans won’t be rushed into dealing Chris Paul and that there’s no timeline for a trade.
Demps says there remain “many options” for the NBA-owned Hornets to pursue in trading their four-time All-Star point guard and that the team and league will be diligent in “looking for the best one.” Demps says he’s working “hand-in-hand” with NBA Commissioner David Stern and has not been discouraged or frustrated by the length of time it has taken to reach a deal that satisfies all parties.
If he’s not frustrated he’s a robot.
That said, this process may slow down for a little bit. And come the start of the season Paul may still be a Hornet.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 32
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 32
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18