We’re going to see less of Charles Barkley… he dropped 27 pounds

Dec 13, 2011, 12:41 PM EDT

NBA All-Star Saturday Night Presented By State Farm Getty Images

Somehow you know Shaquille O’Neal is going to take credit for this when he sits down in the TNT studio on Christmas.

Charles Barkley has dropped 27 pounds so far thanks to Weight Watchers, who now sponsors and promotes him.

“Diet is not a man’s word because we don’t like to diet—we like to eat,” Barkley said in a press release. “Like a lot of athletes, I’ve gained weight since I’ve retired. But, I don’t want to be a fat, old man taking lots of pills. Weight Watchers is helping me change my lifestyle and learn how to make smarter eating choices anywhere I am.

My natural inclination is to make fun of Barkley for this — now there is less of him for the Miami Heat fans to hate — and this weight loss did land him in People Magazine. There are 800 “round mound or rebound” jokes. But the fact is he had gotten pretty large and that’s not healthy. Great for him, good for Weight Watchers, but there are other methods to get there — I once asked David Thorpe of the Pro Training Center how he got a big man college player to lose weight for his NBA team and he said simply “get him to expend more calories than he takes in.” You can do that by exercising more, eating better, or some combination thereof, but he math is pretty simple.

That said, obesity is a serious health issue in the United States and if Barkley’s example gets some other people to lose some pounds and get healthier, then good on him.

Now, I feel like I need to run to the gym.

1. chargerdillon - Dec 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM

It’s the only way they’re going to be able to have Charles and Shaq on the same time without the set collapsing into the Earth.

• edmazeing1 - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Are you 10 years old?

• Josh Perez - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Are you 91?

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I literally LOL Hahaha

2. captainwisdom8888 - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM

When I can finally HEAR less of Charles Barkley…gimme a heads up. That’d be great.

3. cantonbound13 - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Charles is great! It’s funny how he goes after Heat fans. Afterall, the majority of Heat fans just started watching the NBA last year. They don’t understand the game or the history of the game.

• 973yenots - Dec 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I can see that you’re still upset! For you to mention the Heat tells me you’re very bitter! I Can’t believe people are still crying! I dare you to mention the team you rep!

• klownboy - Dec 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM

that is oh so true about Heat fans, especially the “die hard” ones

• 973yenots - Dec 13, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Another bitter mf!

4. snoopy2014 - Dec 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM

“I once asked David Thorpe of the Pro Training Center how he got a big man college player to lose weight for his NBA team and he said simply ‘get him to expend more calories than he takes in.'”

This is groundbreaking stuff. No wonder Thorpe gets paid the big bucks.

5. klownboy - Dec 13, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Whaaaa? I gotta see Barkley to believe it…

6. handlelikevanexel - Dec 14, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Good work Charles, but seems like the restaurants are going to lose business if Barkley diets.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches