Dec 13, 2011, 2:30 PM EST
If this report is true (and we get the sense it’s pretty spot on) the Dwight Howard saga is only going to end in one of four places. Whenever it ends.
Here is the tweet from ESPN’s Chris Broussard:
There r only 4 teams Dwight Howard would sign longterm deal with – Orl, NJ, LAL, Dal – a source says.
Interesting, but no real shocks. First thing that jumps out at me is Orlando is on that list. Howard has said he would stay in Orlando if there were serious roster changes (and he got input on them) and for now they are still in the mix. Which makes it harder on GM Otis Smith — find a way to get Chris Paul (or someone of that ilk) on the roster or trade your superstar by the deadline.
The other teams on that list are the ones we’ve heard before — the Lakers, Nets and Mavericks Howard has said he likes the Nets as an option but they will likely need a third team to get involved to make a trade work. The Lakers certainly would be a fit, but will they give up Andrew Bynum and Paul Gasol to make a deal. Mark Cuban’s franchise is one a lot of players would like to be part of, but this seems more likely to happen via free agency than trade.
While this may give us a better idea where Howard will land, when is another issue. It could be a while.
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 7
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 12
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 16