Nene to stay in Denver with five-year deal

Dec 13, 2011, 10:57 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets

The biggest free agent on the market is going nowhere.

After flirting with a few teams including the Rockets, Pacers and Nets, Brazilian center Nene has re-signed with the Denver Nuggets with a five-year, $67 million deal, according Marc Stein at ESPN.

That is a really fair deal for both sides, Nene is well paid but the Nuggets did not fall into the trap of overpaying to keep him.

Nene was the top free agent on the market this year, a big man who can defend and rebound plus has a very efficient offensive game. He averaged 14.5 points per game shooting a league-best 61 percent last season, and he pulled down 7.6 rebounds per game. He was a guy you could use as an anchor in the middle on a contending team. That’s what the Rockets and Nets pitched.

But in the end, Nene had a real comfort level in Denver. This is a place where he put down roots (his wife is from Denver) and where he is involved in the community. That matters and always gave Denver the upper hand.

Missing out on Nene may hurt the Nets most, as they continue to strive to land a star player to go along with Deron Williams. It’s not for lack of effort, but if the Nets can’t land someone Williams can walk as a free agent net summer and land somewhere like Dallas (which is clearing out cap space to go after him and other free agents).

1. bparmalee - Dec 13, 2011 at 11:21 PM

When Kwame Brown gets 7 mill a year… every deal starts to look like a value.

2. kyle407641 - Dec 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Yeah Nene!!! you made the right decision and now its time to show what $67 million looks like on the court! bring us some hardware buddy! Go nuggets

3. snoopy2014 - Dec 14, 2011 at 1:05 AM

This guy is good, but a bit overrated. 7.6 rebounds for a center? That’s really not…good.

• polegojim - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM

EXACTLY correct. Weak ‘big man’, plays very small.

He’ll have a monster game or two, then a long string of average or less games.

He’s a big man whose afraid to play like it, afraid to bang, even avoids it.

• denverhoopdreams - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM

He’ll still shoot nearly 60 percent a game averaging nearly 15 points a game. Can’t get much better than that efficiently. Also, supposedly, through the grapevine of the NBA he was working on his boards skills during non-season, and that is what helped his value?? I’ll believe it when I see it.

4. thekingdave - Dec 14, 2011 at 1:27 AM

I think there was a very high probability he’d be a Rocket right now if Mao Stern had not vetoed the Gasol deal.

5. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:38 AM

Wonder what happened to “Denverhoopdreams”

• denverhoopdreams - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I’m here.

Do you have any questions?

Are you wondering how I feel about this?

He’s better than what we would of had. As much as Mozgov is an impressive youngin, having a veteran guy like Nene to help guys like Faried, and Mozgov out is a huge plus. I just hope they don’t listen to anything he says about rebounding.

• yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Just haven’t seen you comment on some stuff here is all. I read the comments more than I post them so I get used to seeing some “regulars” that share intelligent thoughts on the moves here and on HBT.

And I really miss my ex-Knicks

• denverhoopdreams - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I feel you. I’m going to miss one of your ex-Knicks as well… that being Chandler. As long as he doesn’t pull the phantom jump-shot BS he was down the final stretch and the playoffs.

I read a lot, but I’ve been working a lot more too so hard to post as much as I would like to. But seasons getting in full swing – definitely expect to see more of me, and some of my well deserving thumbs down posts. ;)

• denverhoopdreams - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Also – rumors on the radio today are that Mozgov has earned the starting Center position, and are moving Nene to PF. Would love to see this.

6. seattlesuperchronic - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Good for him, he looks good in Denver blue.

7. handlelikevanexel - Dec 14, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Much “Nene” about nothing.

8. acanniv - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Glad to see him back in Denver. Now please, PLEASE, just DUNK THE BALL.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches