Dec 13, 2011, 7:23 PM EDT
Dallas keeps looking for ways to bring in veterans and keep their cap space open for next summer — you listening Deron Williams — and they made another move along those lines today.
Rudy Fernandez and Corey Brewer are going to Denver for a second round pick, reports Marc Stein at ESPN. That works financially because the Nuggets have a huge trade exception that could absorb both of those salaries.
It’s a great move by the Nuggets, who pick up two versatile players to fit in with a team of veterans. Corey Brewer brings defense, Rudy Fernandez is a great outside shooter (even after the whistle) and on a team trying to find ways to fill in for Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith while they are vacationing in China, these are great fits.
What does Dallas get? Here are Stein’s tweets.
As much as they liked Brewer, Mavs’ thinking is they can now sign two more vets on one-year deals while opening up a little more 2012 space… Mavs: Vet-laden, win-now team that just added Odom/Vinsanity/Delonte. They also want Roddy B back in mix. So Brewer PT likely limited again
The Mavs are all about that cap space next summer, where they may have $20 million or more. They can go after Deron Williams, Chris Paul or Dwight Howard. That is the plan. The Mavericks will be in position, the question is will those players really test the market next summer?
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47