Dec 13, 2011, 7:23 PM EDT
Dallas keeps looking for ways to bring in veterans and keep their cap space open for next summer — you listening Deron Williams — and they made another move along those lines today.
Rudy Fernandez and Corey Brewer are going to Denver for a second round pick, reports Marc Stein at ESPN. That works financially because the Nuggets have a huge trade exception that could absorb both of those salaries.
It’s a great move by the Nuggets, who pick up two versatile players to fit in with a team of veterans. Corey Brewer brings defense, Rudy Fernandez is a great outside shooter (even after the whistle) and on a team trying to find ways to fill in for Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith while they are vacationing in China, these are great fits.
What does Dallas get? Here are Stein’s tweets.
As much as they liked Brewer, Mavs’ thinking is they can now sign two more vets on one-year deals while opening up a little more 2012 space… Mavs: Vet-laden, win-now team that just added Odom/Vinsanity/Delonte. They also want Roddy B back in mix. So Brewer PT likely limited again
The Mavs are all about that cap space next summer, where they may have $20 million or more. They can go after Deron Williams, Chris Paul or Dwight Howard. That is the plan. The Mavericks will be in position, the question is will those players really test the market next summer?
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 3
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 10
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 41
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 22