Dec 13, 2011, 7:23 PM EST
Dallas keeps looking for ways to bring in veterans and keep their cap space open for next summer — you listening Deron Williams — and they made another move along those lines today.
Rudy Fernandez and Corey Brewer are going to Denver for a second round pick, reports Marc Stein at ESPN. That works financially because the Nuggets have a huge trade exception that could absorb both of those salaries.
It’s a great move by the Nuggets, who pick up two versatile players to fit in with a team of veterans. Corey Brewer brings defense, Rudy Fernandez is a great outside shooter (even after the whistle) and on a team trying to find ways to fill in for Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith while they are vacationing in China, these are great fits.
What does Dallas get? Here are Stein’s tweets.
As much as they liked Brewer, Mavs’ thinking is they can now sign two more vets on one-year deals while opening up a little more 2012 space… Mavs: Vet-laden, win-now team that just added Odom/Vinsanity/Delonte. They also want Roddy B back in mix. So Brewer PT likely limited again
The Mavs are all about that cap space next summer, where they may have $20 million or more. They can go after Deron Williams, Chris Paul or Dwight Howard. That is the plan. The Mavericks will be in position, the question is will those players really test the market next summer?
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)