Dec 13, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Kwame Brown is back on the West Coast, alert the cake makers in the Bay Area.
The Warriors have been looking for a big man not named Andris Biedrins (who many expected they would amnesty, but instead Charlie Bell got those honors after he showed up drunk to his DUI hearing). The Warriors went hard after Tyson Chandler early but he was in a New York state of mind, then they signed DeAndre Jordan to an offer sheet but the Clippers matched it.
So Kwame Brown it is.
Most people instantly think of Kwame Brown the first pick bust, the guy beat down by Michael Jordan, but he has developed into a serviceable backup center if you don’t have to run him 30 minutes a night. He is a good man-on-man defender on the block and a reasonable rebounder. Stephen Curry shouldn’t hit him with a lot of passes, don’t expect great anticipation on defensive rotations. Don’t expect much. If Brown had been drafted at the end of the first round or second round, he’d just be another non-descript NBA big man and we’d all shrug at this signing.
He’s not worth $7 million, but when desperate you overpay. It’s for one year, so it’s not that bad a pickup.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 2
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 13
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 22
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29