Dec 13, 2011, 12:15 PM EST
Kwame Brown is back on the West Coast, alert the cake makers in the Bay Area.
The Warriors have been looking for a big man not named Andris Biedrins (who many expected they would amnesty, but instead Charlie Bell got those honors after he showed up drunk to his DUI hearing). The Warriors went hard after Tyson Chandler early but he was in a New York state of mind, then they signed DeAndre Jordan to an offer sheet but the Clippers matched it.
So Kwame Brown it is.
Most people instantly think of Kwame Brown the first pick bust, the guy beat down by Michael Jordan, but he has developed into a serviceable backup center if you don’t have to run him 30 minutes a night. He is a good man-on-man defender on the block and a reasonable rebounder. Stephen Curry shouldn’t hit him with a lot of passes, don’t expect great anticipation on defensive rotations. Don’t expect much. If Brown had been drafted at the end of the first round or second round, he’d just be another non-descript NBA big man and we’d all shrug at this signing.
He’s not worth $7 million, but when desperate you overpay. It’s for one year, so it’s not that bad a pickup.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)