Kwame Brown signs one-year deal with Golden State

Dec 13, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT

Kwame Brown

Kwame Brown is back on the West Coast, alert the cake makers in the Bay Area.

Brown has inked a one-year deal worth $7 million to play for the Golden State Warriors, tweets Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.

The Warriors have been looking for a big man not named Andris Biedrins (who many expected they would amnesty, but instead Charlie Bell got those honors after he showed up drunk to his DUI hearing). The Warriors went hard after Tyson Chandler early but he was in a New York state of mind, then they signed DeAndre Jordan to an offer sheet but the Clippers matched it.

So Kwame Brown it is.

Most people instantly think of Kwame Brown the first pick bust, the guy beat down by Michael Jordan, but he has developed into a serviceable backup center if you don’t have to run him 30 minutes a night. He is a good man-on-man defender on the block and a reasonable rebounder. Stephen Curry shouldn’t hit him with a lot of passes, don’t expect great anticipation on defensive rotations. Don’t expect much. If Brown had been drafted at the end of the first round or second round, he’d just be another non-descript NBA big man and we’d all shrug at this signing.

He’s not worth $7 million, but when desperate you overpay. It’s for one year, so it’s not that bad a pickup.

1. acieu - Dec 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM

$7million…evidence this league is a joke

2. 973yenots - Dec 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Teams still want him?

3. swanklax - Dec 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

$7 million…evidence that the Warriors need to hit the minimum salary floor

4. acdc363 - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Ok so Shannon brown gets a measly 3.5 mil from the suns and this joke of a man gets DOUBLE that?!

5. davidtmp - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I wouldn’t have offered more than 4 mil on a 1 year deal…..and that’s inflated. 7 mil is crazy for this guy. Guess the owners have more money to toss around now.

6. theduuuuuuuuuude - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Sucks for Golden State.

7. SOBEIT - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

When Biedrens is your other C…and all the other targets were more expensive, did not want to play for GS or were using GS as bargaining chips…this is about the best you could do. But yeah, that’s how bad it has gotten in GS with trying to get a C. Coincidently, Xmas night game is Clippers and GS. So we get to see Brown up against Jordan. One still has upside, the other is what he is. So frustrating to see Clippers making so many moves and GS is stuck in netural.

8. norcal031 - Dec 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM

So the warriors owners were some of the hardline owners who wanted lower contracts then they sign him for 7 mil??? The owners just keep showing how greedy and stupid they are.

9. thatboi901 - Dec 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Offer 10 mil for Jordan and 7 to Kwame? Must be nice to suck at your job and still find a way to make 7 million

10. goforthanddie - Dec 13, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I coulda sworn there was a lockout or something recently…Something about spiralling player salaries, a need for cost certainty…People bitching about paying bums huge $…

11. ptionvlloi - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM

It must be nice to get millions of dollars on wasted so-called talent. Jordan is brilliant for his basketball skills but as a manager, he sucks big time. First he recruits this lazy and no obvious pros talent as number 1 draft pick and now the joker jockeys around the league making millions. He reasoned, I can’t play like the pros, I might as well make the money and pretend I was doing something. Where’s Big Baby? Some lucky player indeed.

Meanwhile, Odom, a world champ with obvious talent goes to Dallas for about the same amount. What a joke basketball business is.

12. yournuts - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I feel bad for Warrior fans, players don’t want to play in Oakland or San Francisco, and players use the Warriors as bait, to get higher offers from other teams. The only playoff experience I can remember is when they ran the Mav’s off the court some years ago. What ever happened to this franchise? With players demanding where they want to get traded will this team ever compete again?

• nyyankeedave - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM

As a Warriors fan (yes,’tis my fate in life) you’re absolutely right. But it’s not just the Warriors who players don’t want to play for instead opting for the glamour teams – think Toronto, Milwaukee,Sacramento, Washington, Minnesota, Utah(yes,Utah), Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit,Atlanta(yes, them too), and now,even Houston. And with more teams to join that list! Will ANY of these teams EVER compete AGAIN? The NBA is pathetic.

13. max20characters - Dec 14, 2011 at 1:55 AM

We could have offered this guys 1 mill to come to GS, yet we decide to throw in an extra 6 mill to have him wave a towel and miss free throws!!! Oh the pain of being a Warrior fan. We deserve better than this!

14. anhdazman - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM

This is what we’re getting GSW.

Which brings us to this great story by Kobe about the team just before the Pau Gasol trade, as reported by Michael Lee at the Washington Post.

“But like, the game before we traded for Pau, were playing Detroit and I had like 40 points towards the end of the game. This is back when Detroit had Rasheed [Wallace], Chauncey [Billups] and those guys, so we had no business being in the game. So down the stretch of the game, they put in a box and one. So I’m surrounded by these players, Detroit players, and Kwame is under the basket, all by himself. Literally, like all by himself. So I pass him the ball, he bobbled it and it goes out of bounds.

“So we go back to the timeout and I’m [upset], right? He goes, ‘I was wide open.’ ‘Yeah, I know.’ This is how I’m talking to him, like, during the game. I said, ‘You’re going to be open again, Kwame, because Rasheed is just totally ignoring you.’ He said, ‘Well, if I’m open don’t throw it to me.’ I was like, ‘Huh?’ He said, ‘Don’t throw it to me.’ I said, ‘Why not?’ He said, well, ‘I’m nervous. If I catch it and he foul me, I won’t make the free throws.’ I said, ‘Hell no!’

“I go to Phil [Jackson], I say, ‘Hey Phil, take him out of the game.’ He’s like, ‘Nah, let him figure it out.’ So, we lose the game, I go the locker room, I’m steaming. Steaming. I’m furious. Then, finally I get a call, they said, ‘You know what, we got something that’s happening with Pau.’ I was like, ‘Alright. Cool.’…That’s what I had to deal with the whole year.”

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches