Dec 12, 2011, 12:40 PM EDT
Turns out, Michael Jordan is not going to call Chauncey Billups bluff.
Billups and his agent have made it very clear that if any teams that he doesn’t want to play for try to snatch him up on the waiver wire he will simply retire. Then there were rumors the Bobcats were going to put in a bid anyway, from Marc Stein of ESPN. The Bobcats need a point guard, right now the two on their roster are D.J. Augustin and rookie Kemba Walker. Billups would be a good fit.
But it’s not going to happen, according to the Charlotte Observer.
Bobcats do NOT plan to claim Chauncey Billups off waivers according to player-personnel chief Rod Higgins.
For the record, I don’t think Billups is bluffing.
Billups was waived by the New York Knicks under the league’s amnesty provision as a move to help clear the way for their signing of Tyson Chandler. That wipes Billups salary off the Knicks books (he still gets paid) and puts him into a secondary waiver market where any team under the salary cap can bid on taking on part of his salary. For example, if the Bobcats had bid $1 million that is all they would pay for Billups, the Knicks would still pay the rest of his contracted salary. Billups was in the last year of his deal.
If no bid is put in, Billups becomes a free agent at 6 p.m. (Eastern) tonight. Miami and Billups home town of Denver would be front runners for his services.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32