Dec 12, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
All the cool kids want Chauncey Billups on their team.
Dwight Howard — who has already complained the Magic don’t listen to his player advice — wants him, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
One of “changes” Dwight Howard wants is signing of Chauncey. If DH12 stays, sources say he’ll urge Billups to spurn Heat and “anchor” Magic
“Any player with his type of talent, leadership, his capability on the court, he’s Mr. Big Shot, and he has that name for a reason. And I think he fits here.”
But neither the Heat nor the Magic may get a shot at him. Until 6 p.m. Eastern he is on secondary waivers — under the terns of the new labor deal, players waived by amnesty can be bid on by teams under the salary cap. A team under the cap could bid $1 million and get the rights to Billups (the Knicks would still have to pay the remainder of his $14 million).
And the Nets may put in a bid, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Near the deadline on amnesty waiver wire, Nets are still “debating” putting in a claim for Chauncey Billups, league sources tell Y!
Billups has threatened to retire if a team he doesn’t want to play for claims him… such as a team with Deron Williams already at the point guard like the Nets. The reason the Nets put in a bid is to keep him away from the Magic — they want to trade for Dwight Howard, they don’t want him to suddenly start to be happy in Orlando.
Also out there, Billups home town Denver Nuggets.
Heat fans seem to think they have him, and they might, but we are a long way from that.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16