Dec 12, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
All the cool kids want Chauncey Billups on their team.
Dwight Howard — who has already complained the Magic don’t listen to his player advice — wants him, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
One of “changes” Dwight Howard wants is signing of Chauncey. If DH12 stays, sources say he’ll urge Billups to spurn Heat and “anchor” Magic
“Any player with his type of talent, leadership, his capability on the court, he’s Mr. Big Shot, and he has that name for a reason. And I think he fits here.”
But neither the Heat nor the Magic may get a shot at him. Until 6 p.m. Eastern he is on secondary waivers — under the terns of the new labor deal, players waived by amnesty can be bid on by teams under the salary cap. A team under the cap could bid $1 million and get the rights to Billups (the Knicks would still have to pay the remainder of his $14 million).
And the Nets may put in a bid, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Near the deadline on amnesty waiver wire, Nets are still “debating” putting in a claim for Chauncey Billups, league sources tell Y!
Billups has threatened to retire if a team he doesn’t want to play for claims him… such as a team with Deron Williams already at the point guard like the Nets. The reason the Nets put in a bid is to keep him away from the Magic — they want to trade for Dwight Howard, they don’t want him to suddenly start to be happy in Orlando.
Also out there, Billups home town Denver Nuggets.
Heat fans seem to think they have him, and they might, but we are a long way from that.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights