Dec 12, 2011, 4:50 PM EST
All the cool kids want Chauncey Billups on their team.
Dwight Howard — who has already complained the Magic don’t listen to his player advice — wants him, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
One of “changes” Dwight Howard wants is signing of Chauncey. If DH12 stays, sources say he’ll urge Billups to spurn Heat and “anchor” Magic
“Any player with his type of talent, leadership, his capability on the court, he’s Mr. Big Shot, and he has that name for a reason. And I think he fits here.”
But neither the Heat nor the Magic may get a shot at him. Until 6 p.m. Eastern he is on secondary waivers — under the terns of the new labor deal, players waived by amnesty can be bid on by teams under the salary cap. A team under the cap could bid $1 million and get the rights to Billups (the Knicks would still have to pay the remainder of his $14 million).
And the Nets may put in a bid, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
Near the deadline on amnesty waiver wire, Nets are still “debating” putting in a claim for Chauncey Billups, league sources tell Y!
Billups has threatened to retire if a team he doesn’t want to play for claims him… such as a team with Deron Williams already at the point guard like the Nets. The reason the Nets put in a bid is to keep him away from the Magic — they want to trade for Dwight Howard, they don’t want him to suddenly start to be happy in Orlando.
Also out there, Billups home town Denver Nuggets.
Heat fans seem to think they have him, and they might, but we are a long way from that.
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 3
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 11
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 16
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 49