Dec 12, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
The New York Knicks are working hard to get Jamal Crawford. Andy Miller, Crawford’s agent, is working really hard to get Crawford back to the Knicks.
But unless he’s willing to take a big paycut, it’s not going to happen. The Knicks have already offered Crawford their mini mid-level of $2.5 million according to the New York Post. Crawford thought this would be a big payday for him and wants more (and frankly deserves more, his market value is higher than that).
The Knicks and Hawks have been talking sign-and-trade but the problem is the Hawks do not want to pay the luxury tax and they are bumping up against that $70 million number, as the Atlanta Journal Constitution explains.
The only way a straight sign-and-trade with the Knicks is plausible is if the Crawford’s starting salary is low enough that the salary Atlanta takes back doesn’t result in a tax penalty… So all those factors mean a sign-and-trade with the Knicks is out. And, obviously, the Hawks also have no chance of re-signing Crawford or any other free agent making more than the minimum as long as they decline to pay the tax.
Here’s another reason the trade is unlikely, from the Post.
That’s not impressing anyone.
Crawford is the best two guard out on the market right now, a sixth man of the year, a guy who can create his own shots and provide scoring punch, plus is a willing defender. There are plenty of teams under the cap or with their mid-level exception who can offer Crawford a lot more money.
But if he really wants to be a Knick, he’s going to have to play at well below market value to make it happen.
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 5
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 19
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19