Dec 12, 2011, 9:33 PM EDT
Chris Paul trades are like Freddy Krueger. They. Will. Not. Die. Ever.
The Los Angeles Clippers and Hornets have re-opened talks on a Chris Paul trade, reports ESPN (and confirmed by other sources). Really, after killing this deal the league needed to re-engage the Clippers because the rest of the league was done dealing with the Hornets.
After a seemingly imminent trade routing Paul to the Clippers collapsed earlier Monday, sources told ESPN.com that the league officials negotiating on the Hornets’ behalf had aggressively re-engaged the Clippers in talks in hopes of completing a deal as soon as Tuesday.
The talks hit an impasse earlier Monday when the Clippers decided that the league’s asking price for the All-Star guard was too high. But Clippers general manager Neil Olshey said Monday that the trade could be revived if some of the parameters change. And a source close to the process told ESPN that league officials also do not see talks with the Clippers as “over.”
The trade talks died earlier today when the Clippers walked away as the league – which owns the Hornets and had basically taken over for Hornets GM Del Demps in the talks — kept demanding more and more
But on top of that the league demanded both Eric Gordon — a rising young two guard — and Minnesota’s unprotected first round pick for this draft (to which the Clippers have the rights). The Clippers would give up one or the other but thought both was too steep a price and walked away.
Sounds a lot like how the league treated the lockout, doesn’t it? Sounds a lot like how the Lakers trade for Chris Paul died, doesn’t it? Maybe David Stern learned his lesson. Probably not
We will see if this leads anywhere, but the sides are still talking again.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 6
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 7
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 33
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 14
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10