Dec 12, 2011, 12:19 PM EST
Really like this move for the Pacers, who have a nice, well-rounded team right now. Not going to compete with Miami/Chicago, but this is a much better team than people think. On the flip side, the Grizzlies get some depth up front and they were less enthralled with Mayo due to consistency than most people think.
8:33 am: While we were all watching CP3 and D-12 trade rumors, another interesting little potential trade bubbled up.
This is pretty much the same rumor that never came to fruition around the trade deadline last year, save that Brandon Rush was replaced with a first round pick (and don’t be shocked if there is a pick in this mix if it gets done).
The deal makes a lot of sense for the Pacers, who have up-and-coming Paul George at the two but could use someone with Mayo’s skill set (which Mayo doesn’t put to consistent enough use during the season). You get why they are pushing it.
For the Grizzlies, it’s fine but doesn’t thrill me. I get consider trading Mayo, whose value is up after the playoffs last year. And they could use Josh McRoberts up front for depth. But the Grizzlies are loaded with guards — Tony Allen and Xavier Henry at the two, plus enough point guards for two teams (Mike Conley is the leader, but Josh Selby, Greivis Vasquez, the recently signed Jeremy Pargo is in that mix, too).
If Mayo is on the market, the Grizzlies might be able to do a little better. But the trade is being discussed.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 15
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 9
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 2
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 16
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (40)