Grizzlies trade Mayo to Pacers for McRoberts, Rush

Dec 12, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT

O. J. Mayo

UPDATE 12:19 pm: This trade has become official, according to Hoopsworld. O.J.Mayo heads to the Indiana Pacers for Josh McRoberts.

Really like this move for the Pacers, who have a nice, well-rounded team right now. Not going to compete with Miami/Chicago, but this is a much better team than people think. On the flip side, the Grizzlies get some depth up front and they were less enthralled with Mayo due to consistency than most people think.

8:33 am: While we were all watching CP3 and D-12 trade rumors, another interesting little potential trade bubbled up.

The Grizzlies are discussing sending O.J. Mayo to the Indiana Pacers for Josh McRoberts and Brandon Rush, according to Mike Wells at the Indy Star.

This is pretty much the same rumor that never came to fruition around the trade deadline last year, save that Brandon Rush was replaced with a first round pick (and don’t be shocked if there is a pick in this mix if it gets done).

The deal makes a lot of sense for the Pacers, who have up-and-coming Paul George at the two but could use someone with Mayo’s skill set (which Mayo doesn’t put to consistent enough use during the season). You get why they are pushing it.

For the Grizzlies, it’s fine but doesn’t thrill me. I get consider trading Mayo, whose value is up after the playoffs last year. And they could use Josh McRoberts up front for depth. But the Grizzlies are loaded with guards — Tony Allen and Xavier Henry at the two, plus enough point guards for two teams (Mike Conley is the leader, but Josh Selby, Greivis Vasquez, the recently signed Jeremy Pargo is in that mix, too).

If Mayo is on the market, the Grizzlies might be able to do a little better. But the trade is being discussed.

1. bparmalee - Dec 12, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I like this trade for my Pacers if they are no 1st rounds picks involved. We have no chance of signing Mayo long term and we cant afford to trade 1st round picks for a 1 year rental. Next year O.J. Mayo will be in a big market city… like every other free agent.

• b7p19 - Dec 12, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I think the Pacers can sign him long term. Also, that first round pick will likely be out of the lottery. The Pacers should be in playoff contention with Mayo and West along with an already solid core.

• bparmalee - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Now that I see we got him without throwing in a 1st round pick I love the deal. I hope you are right and he can be signed but I have my doubts on that. This is the first time in awhile that my Pacers have a legit starting 5.. not mention some depth. Pacers fans… be patient with Mayo!!!

2. p31squared - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM

If the Grizzlies had issues with Mayo’s inconsistency, then they are going to LOVE Brandon Rush….

Sorry to see McBob go — Memphis fans will love his energy and athleticism — but for the Pacers, this is addition by subtraction.

3. 00maltliquor - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Pacers are looking like a 4th seed team right about now with all their pieces. If I was a Pacer fan I’d be pumped for this season. They are going to shock a lot of people this season. Very deep squad.

4. bozosforall - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

VOID!!!!!

5. themanchine - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Wouldn’t Toney Douglas and a S&T Shawne Williams have been better deal for Memphis? Not that NY tried this, but they should’ve.

6. sterko - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Clip it, Hang it, Klitch it

Get a Klitch!

Theklitch!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches