Dec 12, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
Really like this move for the Pacers, who have a nice, well-rounded team right now. Not going to compete with Miami/Chicago, but this is a much better team than people think. On the flip side, the Grizzlies get some depth up front and they were less enthralled with Mayo due to consistency than most people think.
8:33 am: While we were all watching CP3 and D-12 trade rumors, another interesting little potential trade bubbled up.
This is pretty much the same rumor that never came to fruition around the trade deadline last year, save that Brandon Rush was replaced with a first round pick (and don’t be shocked if there is a pick in this mix if it gets done).
The deal makes a lot of sense for the Pacers, who have up-and-coming Paul George at the two but could use someone with Mayo’s skill set (which Mayo doesn’t put to consistent enough use during the season). You get why they are pushing it.
For the Grizzlies, it’s fine but doesn’t thrill me. I get consider trading Mayo, whose value is up after the playoffs last year. And they could use Josh McRoberts up front for depth. But the Grizzlies are loaded with guards — Tony Allen and Xavier Henry at the two, plus enough point guards for two teams (Mike Conley is the leader, but Josh Selby, Greivis Vasquez, the recently signed Jeremy Pargo is in that mix, too).
If Mayo is on the market, the Grizzlies might be able to do a little better. But the trade is being discussed.
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 3
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12