Dwight Howard waffles, says might stay in Orlando if “things change”

Dec 12, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v Atlanta Hawks - Game Three Getty Images

Dwight Howard can waffle positions like a presidential candidate.

Although I think he was just trying to play nice on Magic media day and didn’t realize what he was about to step in.

At Orlando media day Howard was talking to the media and of course was asked about leaving the city and his trade demands… and that’s when he waffled. Here are the tweets from Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel.

Possibly stunning development or just PR:Dwight Howard softens stance. “This is the place I want to be but some things have to change”

Magic PR pulled Howard away quickly, but he didn’t seem to be the irritated young man he has been…could be just to settle the turbulence

Hard to read whether Dwight Howard is leaving door ajar to stay…or Magic convinced him to keep it civil and upbeat at media day.

My guess is more of the latter. He probably tried to defuse the situation a little, trade talks are moving along slowly for him as the Magic explore options outside of just Lakers, Mavericks and Nets. The Magic are determined to get a deal they can live with, and that takes time. Howard is going to play part of this season with the Magic, he doesn’t want that to be painful.

So he says Orlando is the place he wants to be, but that just gets the hopes up of Magic fans. The changes he wants are not really possible, unless Chris Paul becomes a free agent who can somehow sign with Orlando despite their bloated payroll.

1. 973yenots - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Will Dwight Howard stay or be traded? Stay tuned for the next episode of ( please don’t leave us! ) starring Dwight Howard with special guests ,magic fans. Go Heat!!!

• 973yenots - Dec 12, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Why so serious?

2. thatboi901 - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:56 PM

This is like the high school boy, Howard, who leads the high school girl, Magic, on to think she can be apart of his future. Realistically what can change in Orlando? No trade assets. Low on cap space. Orlando needs to call the clippers to see if they can get that Chris Paul package.

• ravissevens - Dec 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM

What could change? Otis Smith could be fired

3. bigtganks - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:59 PM

CP3 and Dwight both don’t get traded, then each take their talents to south beach in 6 months. That would be insanely funny…

4. tampajoey - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I’d like to slap that stupid smirk off Dwight Howard’s face.

(But, he’d crush me like a bug and I’d cry like a girl)

5. sterko - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Clip it, Hang it, Klitch it

Get a Klitch!

Theklitch!

6. goforthanddie - Dec 12, 2011 at 4:23 PM

At least Anthony and Paul had the balls to say trade me. For all his size, Howard’s a pussy.

• chitownmatt - Dec 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM

You seem to be confusing balls with insolence.

Balls is, “Wherever I end up playing, I will be the best player I can be and I will win.”

Insolence is, “I’m tooooo good to be on a baaaaad team… whaaaa trade me. trade me. trade me. whaaaaa…. I want to be on the Heat, they don’t even sweat at practice and they can still make it to the finals.”

• deadeyedesign23 - Dec 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM

That’s not “balls” either…that’s subjugation.

What this is is him telling the Magic he wants to be traded to one of those 3 teams, and the Magic saying “Dwight, we’ll get you to one of those teams, but shut up and say you’re happy here because you’re killing our leverage.”

7. hystoracle - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Sounds like he and his agent talking to the team’s that are interested in trading for him. Obviously not getting the contract numbers they are looking for. Howard has no intention of staying in Orlando. Negotiating Ploy.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards