Dec 12, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
Dwight Howard can waffle positions like a presidential candidate.
Although I think he was just trying to play nice on Magic media day and didn’t realize what he was about to step in.
At Orlando media day Howard was talking to the media and of course was asked about leaving the city and his trade demands… and that’s when he waffled. Here are the tweets from Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel.
Possibly stunning development or just PR:Dwight Howard softens stance. “This is the place I want to be but some things have to change”
Magic PR pulled Howard away quickly, but he didn’t seem to be the irritated young man he has been…could be just to settle the turbulence
Hard to read whether Dwight Howard is leaving door ajar to stay…or Magic convinced him to keep it civil and upbeat at media day.
My guess is more of the latter. He probably tried to defuse the situation a little, trade talks are moving along slowly for him as the Magic explore options outside of just Lakers, Mavericks and Nets. The Magic are determined to get a deal they can live with, and that takes time. Howard is going to play part of this season with the Magic, he doesn’t want that to be painful.
So he says Orlando is the place he wants to be, but that just gets the hopes up of Magic fans. The changes he wants are not really possible, unless Chris Paul becomes a free agent who can somehow sign with Orlando despite their bloated payroll.
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 2
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 20
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 31
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 45
- Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft 33