Dec 12, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
Dwight Howard can waffle positions like a presidential candidate.
Although I think he was just trying to play nice on Magic media day and didn’t realize what he was about to step in.
At Orlando media day Howard was talking to the media and of course was asked about leaving the city and his trade demands… and that’s when he waffled. Here are the tweets from Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel.
Possibly stunning development or just PR:Dwight Howard softens stance. “This is the place I want to be but some things have to change”
Magic PR pulled Howard away quickly, but he didn’t seem to be the irritated young man he has been…could be just to settle the turbulence
Hard to read whether Dwight Howard is leaving door ajar to stay…or Magic convinced him to keep it civil and upbeat at media day.
My guess is more of the latter. He probably tried to defuse the situation a little, trade talks are moving along slowly for him as the Magic explore options outside of just Lakers, Mavericks and Nets. The Magic are determined to get a deal they can live with, and that takes time. Howard is going to play part of this season with the Magic, he doesn’t want that to be painful.
So he says Orlando is the place he wants to be, but that just gets the hopes up of Magic fans. The changes he wants are not really possible, unless Chris Paul becomes a free agent who can somehow sign with Orlando despite their bloated payroll.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2