Dec 12, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s easy to shrug off Baron Davis being injured at the start of camp since he’s not known for showing up to camp in the best shape.
But this time it appears to be more serious, after missing the first three days of Cavaliers training camp Davis has left the team to get a second opinion on his back injury, according to tweets Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Based on physical in Cleveland, there was a fear in organization that it could be weeks before Davis got back on the floor.
Hold on Knicks fans, don’t get too excited yet, there is a long way to go before you see him in blue and orange. (And for the record, I wouldn’t get too excited about that, you have better on your roster right now.)
First, the Cavaliers are still deciding whether or not to use the amnesty clause on him. The team may keep him if they think he can bounce back and be productive. But don’t believe they want to keep him around to mentor rookie Kyrie Irving (the top pick in the last draft) — the Clippers traded him in part to get him out of a locker room where Blake Griffin was changing the culture. While Davis may have said and done the right things after being traded to the Cavs, his work ethic has been questioned plenty in the past.
Even if the Cavaliers do use the amnesty clause on him, he would have to clear waivers before the Knicks could sign him because the Knicks are over the salary cap. Same with the Heat.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30