Dec 12, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s easy to shrug off Baron Davis being injured at the start of camp since he’s not known for showing up to camp in the best shape.
But this time it appears to be more serious, after missing the first three days of Cavaliers training camp Davis has left the team to get a second opinion on his back injury, according to tweets Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Based on physical in Cleveland, there was a fear in organization that it could be weeks before Davis got back on the floor.
Hold on Knicks fans, don’t get too excited yet, there is a long way to go before you see him in blue and orange. (And for the record, I wouldn’t get too excited about that, you have better on your roster right now.)
First, the Cavaliers are still deciding whether or not to use the amnesty clause on him. The team may keep him if they think he can bounce back and be productive. But don’t believe they want to keep him around to mentor rookie Kyrie Irving (the top pick in the last draft) — the Clippers traded him in part to get him out of a locker room where Blake Griffin was changing the culture. While Davis may have said and done the right things after being traded to the Cavs, his work ethic has been questioned plenty in the past.
Even if the Cavaliers do use the amnesty clause on him, he would have to clear waivers before the Knicks could sign him because the Knicks are over the salary cap. Same with the Heat.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15