Dec 11, 2011, 3:47 PM EST
David West to the Boston Celtics made some sense — not a perfect fit but the best player on the free agent market the Celtics could seem to get. Rajon Rondo was going to love having one of the best pick-and-pop bigs in the game to work with.
Instead, Darren Collison is going to love having David West around.
The deal to the Celtics fell apart and the Pacers have stepped in with a two-year, $20 million deal to get West, according to Adrian Wojnarowski with Yahoo. West had spent his entire career with the New Orleans Hornets, where he and Chris Paul were as good a pick-and-pop tandem as there was in the league.
This is a blow to the Celtics, who are looking to add some scoring to a lineup of veterans that can certainly defend but need a little something more to knock off the Heat and Bulls now. West would have been a step in that direction.
On the flip side, this is a smart move by Larry Bird. Yes, West is coming off knee surgery that had him miss half the season, but this was not a guy who plays above the rim anyway. He is the stretch four the Pacers were looking for (see Dunleavy, Mike), someone that will work well with Collison and Danny Granger. Roy Hibbert will like having him as the other big, and you get to bring Tyler Hansbrough as a scorer off the bench. It’s a move that makes the Pacers better.
And at a fair price — $10 million a year for a two-time All-Star (2009 most recently) who you can count on for 19 points and 7.5 rebounds a game. Consistently. That is an upgrade for the Pacers who are not contenders but just got better at a reasonable price.
Larry Bird has as much cap space as anyone and he just sat back, waiting out the market and pounced on a good deal when it presented itself. Well played, Mr. Bird. Well played indeed.
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 1
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 5
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5