Dec 10, 2011, 10:51 PM EDT
Jeff Green was spoken of as part of the Celtics future, as the big building block to put beside Rajon Rondo. The acquisition of Green for Kendrick Perkins was highly controversial in Boston, made only worse by his performance last season and in the playoffs (though he had a few moments). Green was supposed to be the future. And today, he’s back in Boston for the season.
Yet, there’s a catch.
The Celtics today re-signed Green to a one-year, $9 million contract. Which is just… odd.
It’s odd in that it means that they’ve essentially said “We absolutely have to have this guy… this year.” A player of Green’s age almost always get a multi-year deal, because you want to see what he turns into. For example, if Green becomes an All-Star this season (quit laughing), the Celtics will have raised his total value considerably on the open market. If they’re planning on clearing cap space, you’d think they would just let him go.
But this is a pretty slick move. If he’s worth the money, they’ll give it to him. If he’s not, they’ll let him walk (presumably). They want another year to see, and they’re willing to pay more to get it done. What’s interesting is that he’s a restricted free agent. Which means he could have signed a multi-year deal with another team, instead he makes more money now, and he gets to enter unrestricted free agency.
It’s enough to make you wonder if this isn’t the smarter way for teams to go.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 34
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4