Dec 10, 2011, 10:51 PM EDT
Jeff Green was spoken of as part of the Celtics future, as the big building block to put beside Rajon Rondo. The acquisition of Green for Kendrick Perkins was highly controversial in Boston, made only worse by his performance last season and in the playoffs (though he had a few moments). Green was supposed to be the future. And today, he’s back in Boston for the season.
Yet, there’s a catch.
The Celtics today re-signed Green to a one-year, $9 million contract. Which is just… odd.
It’s odd in that it means that they’ve essentially said “We absolutely have to have this guy… this year.” A player of Green’s age almost always get a multi-year deal, because you want to see what he turns into. For example, if Green becomes an All-Star this season (quit laughing), the Celtics will have raised his total value considerably on the open market. If they’re planning on clearing cap space, you’d think they would just let him go.
But this is a pretty slick move. If he’s worth the money, they’ll give it to him. If he’s not, they’ll let him walk (presumably). They want another year to see, and they’re willing to pay more to get it done. What’s interesting is that he’s a restricted free agent. Which means he could have signed a multi-year deal with another team, instead he makes more money now, and he gets to enter unrestricted free agency.
It’s enough to make you wonder if this isn’t the smarter way for teams to go.
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7