Dec 10, 2011, 11:56 AM EDT
This comes as a surprise to just about nobody. But it also seems a good fit. And destined to happen.
Rip Hamilton was bought out by the Pistons on Friday and is a free agent. He is not the 2006 All-Star level player anymore, but he is still an efficient midrange shooter who can knock down threes and plays smart team defense. He averaged 14.1 points and 3.1 assists last year with shooting and PER numbers near the league average.
That said, he is a considerable offensive upgrade over Keith Bogans, who started for the Bulls at the two last year. The Bulls have yet to pick up the option on Bogans for this season and held him out of practice on Friday.
Getting a wing player to fill the spot between Derrick Rose and Luol Deng was the Bulls highest free agency priority. They targeted Caron Butler but he went to the Clippers (another team in need of a wing starter) and Vince Carter, who is rumored to be headed to Dallas.
Rip to the Bulls seems destined and seems a good fit that makes the Bulls a better team this season. The Bulls are contenders and Rip has won an NBA ring in Detroit, having that experience in the locker room is another reason Chicago wants him.
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 20
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 25
- Kevin Durant: Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are greatest of all time 61
- LeBron James becomes Obamacare pitchman 38
- Report: Houston Rockets to pursue Carmelo Anthony this summer 31