Dec 10, 2011, 4:28 PM EST
Here’s the thing. Everybody’s got their limit. Everybody’s got the edge of where their professionalism meets its end in the face of personal feelings. Chauncey Billups has reached his.
After being amnestied by the New York Knicks as part of their effort to bring Tyson Chandler to the Big Apple, after Billups was never comfortable with leaving Denver in the first place, and after being given a $16 million option exercised by the New York only to be put on the wire, Billups has had it. He’s faced with the prospect of playing potentially his last season for a lottery team with a need at point guard. Billups wants to contend. And he’s going to let everyone know about it. His agent spread word last week that if amnestied, it would be “buyer beware.” Those are tame words compared to what he told Yahoo Sports:
Billups wants to play for a contender. That’s predictable, understandable, even. But technically he’s still under contract. He’s got one more year left. This isn’t all that different than being traded. Making a fuss about it publicly comes off poorly. Just make sure your agent lets every team know his position. Doing it in public is just going to make owners go crazy on their “you don’t get to decide” kick.
Thing is, Billups is up there in age and has limited value. He was a bad fit in New York. He needs to play with players that can hide his weaknesses. Miami is a perfect fit and a rumored preferred spot for him. Are the Kings going to take a swing at him with their back court? Why would Minnesota want to bring him in with Rubio in place? Lottery teams don’t need Billups, contenders do. The odds are that he’ll wind up passing through the amnesty auction and get to sign.
But it’s sad to see such a great leader and respected veteran go off like this.
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 16
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 8
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 20