Dec 9, 2011, 9:34 PM EDT
As expected, early on Friday the Phoenix Suns made it official and bought out Vince Carter’s contract. He was owed $18 million and he’s just not that guy anymore. So they bought him out for $4 million and Carter became a free agent.
The only question was where would he land.
How about Dallas?
That is what Marc Stein of ESPN reports.
The Dallas Mavericks are closing in on reuniting Vince Carter with his former New Jersey teammate Jason Kidd, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. The full financial terms of the agreement weren’t immediately known, but sources said Dallas was discussing a multiyear contract with Carter and hoped to have him signed by Saturday.
Carter is a good fit for the Mavericks, another veteran who can come in off the bench and give them quality minutes, hit some threes and fit in. Last season he gave the Suns 13.5 points per game and shot 36.6 percent from three. He’s no longer VC circa 2005, but he’s a solid veteran.
Expect Carter to ink a deal with the Mavs in the next few days.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 2
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 19
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery