Dec 9, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Pietrus will need to pass the customary physical, which might get interesting considering the fact that he missed the last 12 games of last season due to a knee injury — one he sought to treat with some fairly unconventional methods.
The Suns acquired Pietrus last December as part of the deal that brought Marcin Gortat and Vince Carter to Phoenix in exchange for Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, and Earl Clark. Pietrus wasn’t a great fit in Phoenix; his teammates there didn’t seem to embrace his goofy personality in the positive way his teammates in Orlando had. And on the court, before the injury, Pietrus’s play could be described as inconsistent at best, damaging to his team’s chances at worst.
The conditional second round pick isn’t much to give up, and with just one year left on his deal at a cost of $5.3 million, he’s worth taking a shot at from the Raptors’ side. While the Suns aren’t expected to use the new amnesty clause to get out from under an existing player’s contract this season, if they did, Pietrus was the leading candidate to be cut under that provision.
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 0
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 7
- Why there’s a 100 percent chance the NBA lottery is fixed 7
- Stan Van Gundy says he will not coach anywhere next season 2
- Spurs/Grizzlies preview: Game 2 will be closer, but will that be enough for Memphis? 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay