Dec 9, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Pietrus will need to pass the customary physical, which might get interesting considering the fact that he missed the last 12 games of last season due to a knee injury — one he sought to treat with some fairly unconventional methods.
The Suns acquired Pietrus last December as part of the deal that brought Marcin Gortat and Vince Carter to Phoenix in exchange for Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, and Earl Clark. Pietrus wasn’t a great fit in Phoenix; his teammates there didn’t seem to embrace his goofy personality in the positive way his teammates in Orlando had. And on the court, before the injury, Pietrus’s play could be described as inconsistent at best, damaging to his team’s chances at worst.
The conditional second round pick isn’t much to give up, and with just one year left on his deal at a cost of $5.3 million, he’s worth taking a shot at from the Raptors’ side. While the Suns aren’t expected to use the new amnesty clause to get out from under an existing player’s contract this season, if they did, Pietrus was the leading candidate to be cut under that provision.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'