Dec 9, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Pietrus will need to pass the customary physical, which might get interesting considering the fact that he missed the last 12 games of last season due to a knee injury — one he sought to treat with some fairly unconventional methods.
The Suns acquired Pietrus last December as part of the deal that brought Marcin Gortat and Vince Carter to Phoenix in exchange for Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, and Earl Clark. Pietrus wasn’t a great fit in Phoenix; his teammates there didn’t seem to embrace his goofy personality in the positive way his teammates in Orlando had. And on the court, before the injury, Pietrus’s play could be described as inconsistent at best, damaging to his team’s chances at worst.
The conditional second round pick isn’t much to give up, and with just one year left on his deal at a cost of $5.3 million, he’s worth taking a shot at from the Raptors’ side. While the Suns aren’t expected to use the new amnesty clause to get out from under an existing player’s contract this season, if they did, Pietrus was the leading candidate to be cut under that provision.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 2
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 3
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 16
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18