Dec 9, 2011, 6:01 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:01 pm: Over the course of the day multiple reports have confirmed that Brandon Roy has been diagnosed with a degenerative condition in his knee and he has decided to walk away from basketball.
The latest confirmation came when media at Blazers training camp spoke to forward Gerald Wallace, who confirmed that coach Nate McMillan had told the team Roy was retiring, reports Ben Golliver of Blazers Edge. Blazers players also said they had no indications this was coming.
10:35 am: It’s probably for the best. But I still feel robbed of what could have been.
Brandon Roy is going to announce his retirement due to medical reasons, tweets Chris Broussard of ESPN. Multiple reports now suggest he has been diagnosed with a degenerative knee disease that will get worse, not better over time.
Sources say Brandon Roy to announce medical retirement due to degenerative knees, possibly as soon as today
Secondary reports — from Ken Berger at CBSSports.com — say that Roy is leaning toward retirement heading into a meeting with Trail Blazers brass today. So maybe this isn’t set in stone.
It cannot be easy for Roy, who loves the game and has had his body betray him.
Roy has missed much of last season due to his knees, which essentially just have no cartilage left. He has tried rest and a variety of treatments, and has shows flashes of being fine — his brilliant Game 4 against Dallas in the playoffs last year reminded us of what he could do.
He was expected to join the Blazers for training camp this season and team officials said they would not use the amnesty on him. He was going to get one more shot.
But if he had a setback, he may have realized it was time.
Which is sad. This is a guy who would have been one of the NBA’s elite guards, the franchise anchor in Portland for years. It would have been a marvelous career.
I feel robbed not getting to see it. Portland fans feel worse.
But this is probably for the best.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 7
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 36
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40