Chris Paul, Lamar Odom unlikely to report when training camps open

Dec 9, 2011, 12:27 AM EST

Lamar-Odom-traded

Training camps are set to open for all 30 teams on Friday, but don’t expect Chris Paul to report to the Hornets or Lamar Odom to report to the Lakers.

After the three-team deal that would have sent Paul to Los Angeles and Odom to New Orleans was killed by the league late Thursday night, reports surfaced that Paul and Odom would likely be sitting out the start of training camp while collecting their thoughts as things sorted themselves out.

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports that it would be “very surprising” if Paul reported to Hornets camp on Friday, and the Los Angeles Times talked to Odom, who seemed particularly shaken up by this evening’s turn of events.

“Maybe I’ll see you there tomorrow [at practice],” Odom said. “But I doubt it. You don’t want to go to no place you’re not wanted. I’ll try to give them what they want as much as possible.”

“Man, I’m just in total disbelief about all of this,” Odom continued. “They don’t want my services, for whatever reason. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. I was proud to be a Laker, so I’ll try to help them in the process as much as possible.”

You can’t blame these guys for not wanting to put their heart and soul into a team that had already made the decision to send them out of town. But if the league’s rejection of the trade holds firm, and no other deals involving either of these players surface in the near future, that’s precisely the uncomfortable situation that Paul and Odom are going to be forced to deal with.

1. velascochad - Dec 9, 2011 at 12:37 AM

my only wish this Christmas for the nba is the “death of obese stern and dan gilbert (the crybaby team owner who emailed stern and called the deal “travesty”).

2. ishudbgm - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:01 AM

David Stern is the worst commish in sports history……stop getting in the way of what the fans want. We buy the tickets and the jerseys. Ask the fans what they want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRADE CP3 immediately to the Lakers!!!!!!!!

3. ishudbgm - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Am I the only one that would want to see the Fat Kardashian at the Lakers games even though her husband is in N.O.?

• brooklynbulls - Dec 9, 2011 at 9:02 AM

And I was looking forward to “Khloe and Lamar take the Bayou”. Damn u Stern!

4. nightrain42 - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Does anyone blame them for not reporting? I don’t.

• predicatepanda - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Yes, I do. They’re not victims being forced to work at a sweat shop for $1 a day. Go to work and do your job. If Paul doesn’t get traded, then he can sign with any team he wants next year. In the meantime, play for the Hornets and make millions of dollars. Not exactly a hardship. Odom may not report because his feelings are hurt? Really? The lack of perspective is utterly amazing.

• loungefly74 - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM

no..wrong approach…you are comparing apples and oranges. you have to play with heart…if its not there, the whole team suffers. havent you played sports? you should know this.

• borderline1988 - Dec 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM

You do have to play with heart for your team to be truly successful. And it is hard to fault Odom for not putting his heart into this team now.

But we’re not talking about playing with heart. We’re talking about showing up to training camp. Getting paid millions just to show up. Am I missing something? What a diva.

5. passerby23 - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:04 AM

I understand that it’s disheartening to be traded when you really like a city/team, pick up and start over with a new team, but it’s also a bit immature when players complain about “not being wanted or appreciated” because they were or are being traded. It’s about improving the team, Lamar, not the Lakers management trying to pawn you off on someone else.

6. velascochad - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:35 AM

can we just trade bynum for chris paul? so we still have 2 big men that are essential in winning b2b? i say, pau and lamar stay. bynum to new orleans with khloe kardashian. fair deal ayt?

• velascochad - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:36 AM

were*

7. davidly - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:11 AM

How does this apply to Paul? He wanted to be traded.

8. metalhead65 - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM

so because they got their feelings hut it is ok not to honor the contracts they have now? if I am the owner then they do get paid or traded untill they fulfill it. with as much money as they are making shut up and suck it up and go to work!

9. predicatepanda - Dec 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM

loungefly74 – Dec 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    *********************************************************************************************
    Your perspective makes sense if you’re 8 years old and still believe in Santa. Adults, however, realize that the NBA is a business for both the players and owners. It’s always about the money and, in this case, about playing in the city you want with the players you want. Paul is frustrated that he’s not getting his way right now. I’m pretty sure he’ll be able to separate that disappointment and play hard for his team and his teammates while he’s on the court. After all, he is a competitor and a professional. Odom, on the other hand, has played without heart for half of his career so I’m sure he’ll manage just fine.

10. droq55 - Dec 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Well I’m not surprised to find out Stern was probably paid by Gilbert to squash this Laker trade the greed of the NBA owners was made very apparent during the lockout. However I think it’s terrible that Stern the Almighty One is given this much power to be able to nullify a deal agreed upon by 3 teams.I equate it to fixing a fight in boxing… I’m disgusted.As a Laker fan I’m happy cause I think losing Gasol & Odum is too much so the Lakers were saved from themselves. Back to the drawing board Lakers & Odum get over the hurt feelings & be professional be flattered your considered valuable enough to be part of Mega Trade.

11. sweetnlow44 - Dec 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM

The Lakers won’t miss Odom. He only shows up and gives effort in a small handful of games every year anyway. Why show up for practice?

12. omniusprime - Dec 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Lamar must have gone brain dead after marrying a Kardashian witch. Just because the Lakers tried to move Lamar for Paul doesn’t mean that the team doesn’t like him. These modern day pro athletes are a bunch of spoiled brats who don’t deserve these high salaries. I remember the good old days before free agency when pro athletes were upper middle class and had a proper work ethic and team loyalty. Free agency ruined pro sports and we see just how badly in the NBA the past few years.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches