Dec 9, 2011, 12:27 AM EDT
After the three-team deal that would have sent Paul to Los Angeles and Odom to New Orleans was killed by the league late Thursday night, reports surfaced that Paul and Odom would likely be sitting out the start of training camp while collecting their thoughts as things sorted themselves out.
Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports that it would be “very surprising” if Paul reported to Hornets camp on Friday, and the Los Angeles Times talked to Odom, who seemed particularly shaken up by this evening’s turn of events.
“Maybe I’ll see you there tomorrow [at practice],” Odom said. “But I doubt it. You don’t want to go to no place you’re not wanted. I’ll try to give them what they want as much as possible.”
“Man, I’m just in total disbelief about all of this,” Odom continued. “They don’t want my services, for whatever reason. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. I was proud to be a Laker, so I’ll try to help them in the process as much as possible.”
You can’t blame these guys for not wanting to put their heart and soul into a team that had already made the decision to send them out of town. But if the league’s rejection of the trade holds firm, and no other deals involving either of these players surface in the near future, that’s precisely the uncomfortable situation that Paul and Odom are going to be forced to deal with.
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 8
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 18
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record