Shane Battier announces he will sign with the Heat

Dec 8, 2011, 10:11 AM EDT

shane-battier-heat

Shane Battier was reportedly considering four teams as his free agent destination for the upcoming season: the Grizzlies, Pacers, Raptors, and Heat. The Pacers and Raptors aren’t exactly relevant these days, and while Memphis is on the rise after making an exciting run in the playoffs last year, the veteran known for his defensive ability decided to go with more of a sure thing as far as winning is concerned.

Battier announced via Twitter that he will sign with the Miami Heat.

The Lockout gave me a lots of time to consider what was important to me at this stage of my life and career. Over the last week, I’ve played out every scenario in my head over and over. It always came back to one thing for me: a winning role. I am appreciative of all the kind words and recruiting pitches over the last week, thank you!!

This was a exciting process and after much deliberation, I would like to quote the great poet Jimmy Buffett and take my chances “Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season”

Down. In. Miami. Let’s Go #Heat!!!!!

Clearly, Battier is excited.

As for the Heat, who can’t afford to be big spenders in free agency (Battier reportedly took only part of the mid-level exception or the new mini mid-level) and aren’t going to blow things up by making any big trades to land another star, this is probably about as good as they could have done. While Battier’s defense has slipped over the past couple of seasons, he’s still an above average defender, and can knock down the occasional spot-up three-pointer, which makes him at least semi-serviceable on the offensive end of the floor.

Combine that with the leadership he should be able to provide in the locker room, and from a chemistry standpoint, Battier’s contribution in Miami might be even more important than what he ultimately produces for the team on the court.

1. southbeachtalent - Dec 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM

YES!!! Great pick up.

• florida727 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM

According to basketballreference.com, he has banked over $47 million so far in his career. If it really does come down to just winning a championship, I give him credit for realizing he has enough money to last him forever, so why not try to put the finishing touches on a career by winning a title? Kind of refreshing to see an example, not just words, of a guy who could have gotten more but opting for a chance to win.

2. crenfroe45 - Dec 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM

So much flexing going on in that photo

3. loungefly74 - Dec 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

great, great guy to have on the team. superb move by the heat. he is what is called “a glue guy”…the “anti-tmac” if you will…

4. Jomolungma - Dec 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I love the move, but I’m not quite sure why his “leadership in the locker room” will be so valuable. Who’s he leading? LeBron? Wade? Bosh? If those guys can’t provide their own leadership, this team’s got bigger problems than lack of a point guard. I think he’s simply a guy those three don’t have to worry about, and so the fact that he is a squared-away veteran is more valuable to the team than any “leadership” he might provide.

5. savoirlaire - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:02 AM

“Quote the great poet Jimmy Buffet”, huh? Yes, I naturally think of Donne, Tennyson, Poe, Frost… and Buffet.

Well, at least he didn’t quote the Pokemon movie closing theme (Herman Cain did that, for those of you from Rio Linda)…

6. 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Anyone in Memphis burning jerseys?

• progress2011 - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I’m from Memphis, if they had a Battier Jersey, I’d be very surprised. Folk in M-Town are still in love with Michael Jordan. So, you may see more Jordan Jerseys than anyone, to this day.

7. pl4tinum514 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

As much as I hate to say it, killer pickup for the Heat.

8. jonka - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM

did they make this move just so they can replace Lebron in every 4th quarter?
    if so = GENIUS

9. diablito0402 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Hahahaha Wow. So excited for so little.

10. leearmon - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM

As much as I hate to say it, VERY good signing for Miami. The league’s best defensive team, actually just got better defensively. While also finding someone who can spread the floor with his outside shot.

11. trueballs - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:50 AM

So…if they’re keeping Miller too I guess Battier is getting only the mini-MLE at $3mil/yr? That would be awesome..

• progress2011 - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Miller has the body of a 60 year old man. Dude was a non-factor all season. They will do themselves well if they get rid of that plug !

12. bozosforall - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Battier is a WUSS. Once a Dookie wuss, always a Dookie wuss.

13. edweird0 - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM

This is f***ing awesome. Can’t wait to see the fruits of Pats labor.

14. dirtybird2020 - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Lebron winked at him, thought it was a sign! Haha, this is the best they can do ! Haha now they can replace lebron when he pulls his disappearing act! Still no pg or center lol good pickup all and all but dont know why he would play for that crap city, lebron mustve promised him a ring too! Lol

• progress2011 - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Dirty Bird…with all that hater-aid, I know a soft creme filled dude like you not from Hot-Lanta. Must have moved here from La-La land !!!
      Please leave…

15. mook1987 - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM

is he a negro?

16. basketballfan4life - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM

@mook1987 although at times, a well placed movie quote could be very funny, this is not one of them. Whether u are African-American, European-American or any other nationality, u have shown ur ignorance. DUMBASS

17. ascreamingcomesacrossthecourt - Dec 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Quality signing. They’d be a scary team if Haslem can play this year and they sign a decent center/power forward.

18. progress2011 - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:39 PM

This was a good pick up. Now they can :

1. Get rid of unproductive, slow, injury prone Mike Miller for a true point guard

2. Since Miller is gone, use that money to a pg to handle ball duties and set up the offense. I like Jeff Teague in Atlanta. He would be a great pick up. Super Fast, good ball handler, good defender and can get to the rack with ease. This will free up LBJ and Wade from ball duty all game.

3. Trade Haslem ( I like Haslem but he is too small ) pick up a 7’0 Center. Dallas is cleaning house, get Brenden Haywood.

Roster:

PG- Teague
    SG- Wade
    SF – Bron-Bron
    PF- Bosh
    C- Haywood

I’ll take them against ANYBODY !!! Let’s Run.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches