Dec 8, 2011, 11:39 AM EST
The Suns dealt for Aaron Brooks at last season’s trade deadline, in hopes that he might be a long-term solution at point guard for the team — both as a backup to Steve Nash, and possibly as his someday-replacement.
Brooks was to be a restricted free agent this season, and while it’s unclear whether or not the team would have chosen to match any decent offers for him, they didn’t have the chance to find out once Brooks signed in China a week before the NBA’s lockout was halted.
So, with Brooks out of the picture for the majority of this season, the Suns are in need of (at minimum) a backup point point guard. And they appear close to signing one, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic, as Sebastian Telfair may become a member of the team as soon as Friday.
Telfair is an affordable player for a Suns team not looking to spend significantly on a temporary solution for a backup position. He didn’t play a ton last season in Minnesota, averaging just over 19 minutes per game, and appearing in only 37 of them. And while his points and assists numbers of 7.2 and 3 per game don’t immediately inspire, the opportunity for his level of production to increase will certainly be there in Phoenix.
This is especially true when you consider both the team’s chosen style of play, as well as the availability of additional minutes thanks to the league’s compressed schedule, which will likely require more time on the bench than usual for Steve Nash.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 3
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 17
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17