Dec 8, 2011, 11:39 AM EDT
The Suns dealt for Aaron Brooks at last season’s trade deadline, in hopes that he might be a long-term solution at point guard for the team — both as a backup to Steve Nash, and possibly as his someday-replacement.
Brooks was to be a restricted free agent this season, and while it’s unclear whether or not the team would have chosen to match any decent offers for him, they didn’t have the chance to find out once Brooks signed in China a week before the NBA’s lockout was halted.
So, with Brooks out of the picture for the majority of this season, the Suns are in need of (at minimum) a backup point point guard. And they appear close to signing one, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic, as Sebastian Telfair may become a member of the team as soon as Friday.
Telfair is an affordable player for a Suns team not looking to spend significantly on a temporary solution for a backup position. He didn’t play a ton last season in Minnesota, averaging just over 19 minutes per game, and appearing in only 37 of them. And while his points and assists numbers of 7.2 and 3 per game don’t immediately inspire, the opportunity for his level of production to increase will certainly be there in Phoenix.
This is especially true when you consider both the team’s chosen style of play, as well as the availability of additional minutes thanks to the league’s compressed schedule, which will likely require more time on the bench than usual for Steve Nash.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 12
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 20
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42