Report: Oden to sign one-year offer to stay in Portland

Dec 8, 2011, 12:47 PM EST

Greg Oden Getty Images

The Trail Blazers are giving Greg Oden one more shot.

Oden is going to sign the Blazers one-year qualifying offer at $8.9 million, reports Jason Quick at the Oregonian. This is essentially the last year of his rookie deal, Oden will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.

Oden has played well when he has been on the court, the problem is that has been for just one-quarter of the games in his first four years in the league and none since 2009. He has had multiple knee surgeries and is not expected back this season until January at best.

This is a good risk for the Blazers. Portland is a team that is solid at every spot on the floor but lacks the elite, superstar talent to take it to the next level. Brandon Roy used to potentially be that guy, and even with his knee issues they are giving him another look.

Oden, if healthy (and if he could stay out of foul trouble) might well be a top five center in this league, the kind of defense-and-rebounding big every team needs. For one year, it’s worth the risk to see if he can bounce back. If not, you tried, if he does you have a big piece of the puzzle.

I wouldn’t be getting my hopes up if I lived in Portland. But this is a good gamble.

1. karlton2 - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM

…or you could have had Kevin Durant.

2. bparmalee - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM

How would you like to be Portlands insurance provider… they have to be scared to death.

3. florida727 - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM

This generation’s version of Sam Bowie, ironically also drafted by Portland if memory serves correct. Both very gifted athletes, but so unfairly injury-prone, the Blazers never realized the value after drafting them. Jordan. Durant. Man, that franchise COULD have had one heck of a legacy and/or future.

4. baboushka - Dec 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM

There is something weird happening in that Portland Arena. Or that team is snakebit. Bill Walton, Sam Bowie, Kevin Duckworth, Maurice Lucas, Pryzbilla, Oden, Brandon Roy all suffered severe leg injuries playing in that arena. Even Clyde the Glides legs burnt out in Portland. I’m sure I missed a few too. If I was a big man or leaper in the NBA, I’d be afraid to play there. I think Portland should package that guy in a trade to Boston for a superb PG like Rajon Rondo or Avery Bradley (who is better) if possible. It would be a good match for both teams.

5. frenchy121212 - Dec 8, 2011 at 7:40 PM

My buddy bet me Oden wouldn’t score 2500 points in his career. I laughed. He’s gonna win the bet.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches