Dec 8, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT
The Trail Blazers are giving Greg Oden one more shot.
Oden is going to sign the Blazers one-year qualifying offer at $8.9 million, reports Jason Quick at the Oregonian. This is essentially the last year of his rookie deal, Oden will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.
Oden has played well when he has been on the court, the problem is that has been for just one-quarter of the games in his first four years in the league and none since 2009. He has had multiple knee surgeries and is not expected back this season until January at best.
This is a good risk for the Blazers. Portland is a team that is solid at every spot on the floor but lacks the elite, superstar talent to take it to the next level. Brandon Roy used to potentially be that guy, and even with his knee issues they are giving him another look.
Oden, if healthy (and if he could stay out of foul trouble) might well be a top five center in this league, the kind of defense-and-rebounding big every team needs. For one year, it’s worth the risk to see if he can bounce back. If not, you tried, if he does you have a big piece of the puzzle.
I wouldn’t be getting my hopes up if I lived in Portland. But this is a good gamble.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 0
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 62
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 18
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay