Dec 8, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
The Sacramento Kings may just have lined up some good post defense.
The Kings have made a four year, $20 million offer to the free agent forward who played his entire career for the Rockets, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. What’s more, it looks like Hayes will take the deal.
The Kings will have a pretty crowded front court, with DeMarcus Cousins (more of a four/five), J.J. Hickson and Jason Thompson, but Hayes brings far more consistent play and better defense than any of the other guys. Hayes is a good rebounder, a good passer and a fairly efficient shooter who gave the Rockets 7.9 points and 8.1 rebounds a game last season. But really, you want him for his defense.
Hayes grew up in Modesto, a town in California’s farming community not that far from Sacramento.
There is still time for another team to best that offer, but not by much if at all. And it might not be worth it if Hayes wants to return to his roots.
- Son tweets Craig Sager has acute leukemia 5
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 6
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 22
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 42
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 50