Dec 8, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
The Sacramento Kings may just have lined up some good post defense.
The Kings have made a four year, $20 million offer to the free agent forward who played his entire career for the Rockets, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. What’s more, it looks like Hayes will take the deal.
The Kings will have a pretty crowded front court, with DeMarcus Cousins (more of a four/five), J.J. Hickson and Jason Thompson, but Hayes brings far more consistent play and better defense than any of the other guys. Hayes is a good rebounder, a good passer and a fairly efficient shooter who gave the Rockets 7.9 points and 8.1 rebounds a game last season. But really, you want him for his defense.
Hayes grew up in Modesto, a town in California’s farming community not that far from Sacramento.
There is still time for another team to best that offer, but not by much if at all. And it might not be worth it if Hayes wants to return to his roots.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 5
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 42
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 53
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16