Dec 8, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
The Sacramento Kings may just have lined up some good post defense.
The Kings have made a four year, $20 million offer to the free agent forward who played his entire career for the Rockets, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. What’s more, it looks like Hayes will take the deal.
The Kings will have a pretty crowded front court, with DeMarcus Cousins (more of a four/five), J.J. Hickson and Jason Thompson, but Hayes brings far more consistent play and better defense than any of the other guys. Hayes is a good rebounder, a good passer and a fairly efficient shooter who gave the Rockets 7.9 points and 8.1 rebounds a game last season. But really, you want him for his defense.
Hayes grew up in Modesto, a town in California’s farming community not that far from Sacramento.
There is still time for another team to best that offer, but not by much if at all. And it might not be worth it if Hayes wants to return to his roots.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 23
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23