Dec 8, 2011, 9:35 AM EST
The Sacramento Kings may just have lined up some good post defense.
The Kings have made a four year, $20 million offer to the free agent forward who played his entire career for the Rockets, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. What’s more, it looks like Hayes will take the deal.
The Kings will have a pretty crowded front court, with DeMarcus Cousins (more of a four/five), J.J. Hickson and Jason Thompson, but Hayes brings far more consistent play and better defense than any of the other guys. Hayes is a good rebounder, a good passer and a fairly efficient shooter who gave the Rockets 7.9 points and 8.1 rebounds a game last season. But really, you want him for his defense.
Hayes grew up in Modesto, a town in California’s farming community not that far from Sacramento.
There is still time for another team to best that offer, but not by much if at all. And it might not be worth it if Hayes wants to return to his roots.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 12
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 5
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 11