Suns’ Saver becomes first owner to complain about schedule

Dec 7, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT

Suns Robert Sarver

Congratulations Robert Sarver. You are the winner of today’s PBT “You made the bed, you lie in it” award.

Sarver, the Suns owner, was one of the hardline NBA owners who helped drag this lockout. He was for much of the lockout part of the small market owners who wanted to recover their losses from the players’ pockets (even though he overpaid for the franchise and a lot of his losses are tied to debt service on that price).

So here we are left with a condensed 66-game schedule. And Sarver doesn’t like it, not one bit, according to Paul Coro at the Arizona Republic. The Suns have no home games against Boston, Chicago, Miami, New York and Orlando from the East, and fewer games against the Lakers and other West powerhouses than many other teams.

“I was disappointed for our fans,” Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver said. “When the preliminary schedule came out, I asked the league to reconsider and they didn’t. You’ve got to factor in all the arenas and timelines, and they weren’t able to move dates around.”

Allow us to quote John Lennon:

Instant Karma’s gonna get you
Gonna knock you right on the head

1. Brian Keith - Dec 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM

It’s hilarious that you misspelled “Saver”, that’s often what many of us Suns fans call ol’ Bob $aver here in the desert since he singlehandedly ruined our franchise. I can guarantee you that the only reason there is a headline reading “Grant Hill interested in Knicks, not Suns” is because $aver probably low-balled and insulted him with a pathetic offer AGAIN!!!….. As much as I love Grant and know that we need him to even be respectable this season, I almost hope that he walks to New York with Amar’e and takes the better offer. It’s sad that next year we will have a ton of cap space but no free agent worth a damn would even consider coming to Phoenix anymore. Oh how we yearn for the days of Jerry Colangelo. Lottery bound…Guess I better get used to it…..

2. dirtybird2020 - Dec 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM

He dont feel bad for us! He feels bad for his pockets! Whats fans?!? All you have is nash, we could delete this team an “saver” the moment! Greedy punk! Go bankrupt for all we care thats what you get!

3. dirtybird2020 - Dec 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Use to be a suns fan! Not no more! You got a organization ran by gays! Literally

4. renorocker - Dec 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I think that you are missing the bigger question here….Who is the hottie standing next to him????

5. zblott - Dec 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM

1. Sarver is possibly the greediest owner.
    2. Greedy owners forced a cramped schedule that sucks for everyone.
    3. Sarver now complains as if he didn’t help cause this situation.

Suns fans should completely stop going to games, buying merch, whatever it takes. Bleed this guy out of the league.

6. adiddie - Dec 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Renrocker hit the nail on the head, the lady next to him is smokin

7. sunsation3413 - Dec 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I do think the league is enjoying Bobby boys pain but it still suck for us fans. Yes I am a season ticket holder and I feel completely screwed by this season. I wish I could sue for fraud and get my money back because that’s what this season is going to be for the Suns…a fraud. Nash has no chance of getting traded now because of this schedule because the arena will be empty enough..imagine if we didnt have Nash. But for all he has done for us he deserves better. We have some nice guys on the team but not a chance in hell of winning the West. Note to $aver…either get some investors so we can compete or sell the team! I am not renewing as I can’t take your crap anymore.

8. dalucks - Dec 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM

This is why the entire season should have been cancelled. This 66 games schedule will be a disaster and everyone will soon regret it like in 1999 when the NBA unleash the 50 game crap on everyone. The new CBA is a joke and David Stern is a horrible liar. I am surprised the small market owners continue to get screwed by the big market teams when the small market teams out number large market teams on a 3 to 1 ratio. All small market owners should vote no to the new CBA unless they want to suffer for another 6 to 10 years.
    Also what fascinates me is all of these “fans” excited about having an NBA season this year are the same people who do not attend any games nor buy the NBA league pass to watch the games. I live in the Carolinas and I refuse to pay $100.00 per seat for a lower level ticket, $15.00 for parking, and $30.00 for two hot dogs and a drink/beer to watch the Bobcats. Obviously, I am not the only one who feels that way as their attendance stinks. We as fans need to start a “Don’t Occupy NBA arenas” page so we can get better prices at these NBA arenas.

9. kpow55 - Dec 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM

You can’t have it both ways….. If it’s all about revenue….. what games are going to draw more? Chicago vs. Miami, NY vs,. LA or any of them solely vs the Suns who have zero chance of making the playoffs.

Just play/be happy with getting blown out by the Clippers, Mavs, etc… and shut up.

Side note:, 1/2 the friggin league makes the playoffs and RS can’t cobble a team together to get in, awful.

10. calirob80 - Dec 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM

guys a two-faced joke. looks constipated too

11. dabeloved - Dec 7, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Can’t even proofread your headline, well done!

12. deadeyedesign23 - Dec 7, 2011 at 7:27 PM

So let me get this straight. After being among the group of people who ensured that we missed games on the premise that big market teams are not more important than small market ones, he’s now angry that not enough big markets are coming to his town. You know…because they generate more money…because they ARE more important.

You punch drunk scumbag.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches