Dec 7, 2011, 6:09 PM EST
There was a time, just 24 hours ago, when Stephen Curry being the heart of a trade that brought Chris Paul to Golden State looked very possible. (As much as anything looks possible in a whirlwind of rumors.)
CP3 Update: Source close to process tells ESPN that NOR talks w/GSW “definitely cooling” because of GSW refusal to put Steph Curry in deal
Curry is trying to keep his head down and ignore the rumors through all of this. But after practice today Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com got Curry’s reaction to maybe staying put rather than heading to the Big Easy.
“Really? Sigh of relief for me. No, just playing. This is the time of year with big free agents and especially with the lockout and things condensed into a short period of time, it’s pretty much predictable there are going to be a lot of rumors going around.
“Just focused on being back here, being with my teammates. Being happy being a Warrior. I’m not really worried about everything that’s circulating outside of the gym…..
“I talked to (general manager) Larry, (Riley) and talked to coach (Mark) Jackson about it. They told me pretty much the same thing: You’re safe and secure here. They want me here.
“Obviously, there’s the business of basketball and there are things that may happen with a GM having to make a decision for the best interest of the team. When you have a guy like Chris Paul, who is a franchise player, that’s something you really have to think about it with anybody on the roster. I understand that. I’m not going to be upset if they entertained that.
“It’s nice to be in the conversation with a guy like that. I know myself, I’d be part of a package, but that’s something that’s going to happen when you’re in this career, in this business, and you’ve got to run with it.”
I like Curry, but I find it hard to believe the Warriors would not include him in a deal for Paul, unless the Warriors were not confident they could sign Paul to a long-term deal. You don’t want to give up Curry for nothing, but if the question is Curry and Klay Thompson for Paul, well, that’s not much of a question. (That said, a lot of teams seem to be balking at Paul trades if he does not commit to re-signing with them.) The Warriors courting of Tyson Chandler — the center Paul said would be key to him signing an extension in Golden State — could play into all of this.
Whatever the case, Curry is not worried about it.
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 2
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 13
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41