Dec 7, 2011, 5:54 PM EDT
This was always a wink-and-a-nod game the NBA was playing this week — teams could talk to agents and players, but not work them out or offer contracts. Right. Like there was not going to be some handshake deals that just have to be inked on Friday. The NBA looks away and just pretends not to notice.
One of those handshakes appears to be Tracy McGrady to the Hawks. We noted in our morning one liners that McGrady seemed destined for Atlanta, and Stephen A. Smith of ESPN reported it is done. It is a one-year deal for the veteran minimum.
After years where it seemed like his body had given up on him, McGrady rebounded from injury last season to play solid ball for the Pistons. He played in 72 games, gave them more than 23 minutes and a nice 8 points a game. He’s not the dominant McGrady of a decade ago, but at age 32 he can be a nice addition off the bench for the Hawks.
There will be minutes as it looks like perennial sixth man of the year candidate Jamal Crawford may be headed to Chicago… or somewhere, but not back to Atlanta.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'