Dec 7, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT
Lakers owner Jerry Buss has been hospitalized due to blood clots in his legs, reports the Orange County Register.
It is not considered serious and Buss, 77, is expected to be released in the next couple days, reports the Orange County Register.
“He’s doing well,” (Lakers spokesman John) Black said Wednesday evening.
Black said the condition occurred because of “excessive travel.” Buss has been going to New York recently for NBA lockout negotiations, but Black did not elaborate on where else Buss has traveled.
Buss has owned the Lakers since 1979, when he bought the team for $67 million (that price included the Forum arena, the NHL’s Kings and a ranch). Buss has been an inovator in presenting the game as entertainment, including having a dance team and using rock music in the arena. The Lakers also have won 10 championships under his ownership.
In recent years the elder Buss has turned day-to-day operation of the team over to his children. Jim Buss runs the basketball side of the operation while daugher Jeanie Buss runs the business side. His other children also are involved in the organization.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 17
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 12
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 31
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 20
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead