Dec 7, 2011, 7:35 PM EDT
If David West had not blown out his knee last year, he would be mentioned with Nene as a top free agent in this class. There is not a better pick-and-pop big in the game (well, maybe that Nowitzki guy, but the list is short) and West has an all-around game. He’s a former All-Star for a reason.
Dallas, San Antonio, Miami and Atlanta are all interested, according to Berger. What do all those teams have in common? They are over the salary cap and can’t really afford what West will command. (The Pacers have spoken to West as well and they can afford him.) That brings us to this note from Berger.
Hornets willing to let West go in sign/trade if it will get him to contender and bring back an asset or two, sources say.
The Hornets are about to ship out Chris Paul and go into asset acquiring mode. Everyone is available if you’ll send young prospects and draft picks. That may leave the Heat without many options (although they already have Chris Bosh at the four anyway) but the other three teams may be able to help a little. Depends on the price.
Expect some wheeling and dealing here over the next few days. The question for these teams becomes, how much are you willing to give up on the bet David West returns to his old self after surgery?
- Blake Griffin with as powerful a putback dunk as you’ll see (VIDEO) 7
- PBT Podcast: What is with the slumps of Miami, Indiana? Plus of course Phil Jackson talk. 0
- Extra Pass: Beyond Phil Jackson, Knicks should see Tim Hardaway as instrumental to their future 6
- Wednesday NBA grades: Brooklyn is all about The Truth 8
- Truth too much for Heat, Brooklyn knocks off Miami 25