Dec 7, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
For a guy on the wrong side of 30 coming off major knee surgery that caused him to miss most of a season, Caron Butler has some pretty sweet options ahead of him for this season.
Butler is down to a final four, tweets Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Caron Butler’s choices: SA or CHI for the $5 million midlevel exception, or NJ or LA Clippers for about $7 mill/year…
On the Bulls he would add needed wing depth on a team that is a title contender. Plus Butler’s defense fits well in that system. Butler is really a three and the Bulls play Luol Deng there, but Butler could slide in as an oversized two guard.
Same in San Antonio, where he would be starting on the wing (or maybe being sixth man if Manu Ginobili starts). This is an older team making one more run and it could be a good fit. The Spurs are about to waive Richard Jefferson to make room.
The Clippers are a team with serious playoff aspirations and a hole at the three. While I would argue Tayshaun Prince would be a better fit for the Clippers, Butler is an upgrade over Ryan Gomes. Plus, Butler can throw lobs anywhere near the basket and get assists because of Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
The Nets are a chance to be part of another team trying to rebuild and with a couple good parts in Deron Williams and Brook Lopez. Plus, starting next season he would be playing in New York (Brooklyn, to be specific) and that has appeal.
The team you notice is not on there are the Dallas Mavericks, who are only offering short term deals trying to keep cap space for this summer.
I guess we’ll see Friday (or over the weekend) what matters most to Butler.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 16
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 40
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31