Dec 7, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
For a guy on the wrong side of 30 coming off major knee surgery that caused him to miss most of a season, Caron Butler has some pretty sweet options ahead of him for this season.
Butler is down to a final four, tweets Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Caron Butler’s choices: SA or CHI for the $5 million midlevel exception, or NJ or LA Clippers for about $7 mill/year…
On the Bulls he would add needed wing depth on a team that is a title contender. Plus Butler’s defense fits well in that system. Butler is really a three and the Bulls play Luol Deng there, but Butler could slide in as an oversized two guard.
Same in San Antonio, where he would be starting on the wing (or maybe being sixth man if Manu Ginobili starts). This is an older team making one more run and it could be a good fit. The Spurs are about to waive Richard Jefferson to make room.
The Clippers are a team with serious playoff aspirations and a hole at the three. While I would argue Tayshaun Prince would be a better fit for the Clippers, Butler is an upgrade over Ryan Gomes. Plus, Butler can throw lobs anywhere near the basket and get assists because of Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
The Nets are a chance to be part of another team trying to rebuild and with a couple good parts in Deron Williams and Brook Lopez. Plus, starting next season he would be playing in New York (Brooklyn, to be specific) and that has appeal.
The team you notice is not on there are the Dallas Mavericks, who are only offering short term deals trying to keep cap space for this summer.
I guess we’ll see Friday (or over the weekend) what matters most to Butler.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1