Dec 7, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
For a guy on the wrong side of 30 coming off major knee surgery that caused him to miss most of a season, Caron Butler has some pretty sweet options ahead of him for this season.
Butler is down to a final four, tweets Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Caron Butler’s choices: SA or CHI for the $5 million midlevel exception, or NJ or LA Clippers for about $7 mill/year…
On the Bulls he would add needed wing depth on a team that is a title contender. Plus Butler’s defense fits well in that system. Butler is really a three and the Bulls play Luol Deng there, but Butler could slide in as an oversized two guard.
Same in San Antonio, where he would be starting on the wing (or maybe being sixth man if Manu Ginobili starts). This is an older team making one more run and it could be a good fit. The Spurs are about to waive Richard Jefferson to make room.
The Clippers are a team with serious playoff aspirations and a hole at the three. While I would argue Tayshaun Prince would be a better fit for the Clippers, Butler is an upgrade over Ryan Gomes. Plus, Butler can throw lobs anywhere near the basket and get assists because of Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
The Nets are a chance to be part of another team trying to rebuild and with a couple good parts in Deron Williams and Brook Lopez. Plus, starting next season he would be playing in New York (Brooklyn, to be specific) and that has appeal.
The team you notice is not on there are the Dallas Mavericks, who are only offering short term deals trying to keep cap space for this summer.
I guess we’ll see Friday (or over the weekend) what matters most to Butler.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10