Dec 6, 2011, 10:06 AM EDT
Jason Kidd cannot play forever. I know, it already seemed like he has, but the fact is he will eventually need to walk away from the game. His contract is up after this season.
That despite the fact Williams said Monday there was a 90 percent chance he remains with the Nets. Dallas is not bringing in big priced free agents — not even Tyson Chandler — because they want to preserve cap space to get D-Will, Berger says.
The Mavs are in no rush to pony up a max offer to retain Chandler, largely because they want to maintain flexibility for next summer’s free-agent class — which just happens to include Dallas’ own Williams, multiple sources told CBSSports.com….
But if the Nets are unsuccessful in their efforts to land Dwight Howard — Brook Lopez, first-round picks and absorbing Hedo Turkoglu‘s contract doesn’t figure to be enough — then Williams will have an interesting decision to make come July 1. And the buzz among front-office executives Monday was that Dallas owner Mark Cuban would be in a position to sell Williams on taking less money to play in his hometown.
Once Williams becomes a free agent, he could get a five-year, $100 million deal to stay with the Nets. Signing with Dallas would net Williams only a four-year, $74 million deal. How much playing in his hometown is worth to Williams would depend, in part, on what pieces the Nets surround him with between now and then.
As of right now, the Mavericks only have $44 million on the books for next summer as the Kidd and Jason Terry deals expire.
Still, there are a whole lot of “ifs” that have to fall into place for the Mavs to land D-Will.
But it gives you some insight into their thinking, that while this team won a title last year owner Mark Cuban does not want to just ink the entire gang to longer term deals and try to ride this out. He knows he has a veteran team and he wants to be ready to remold it next summer, when the best crop of potential free agents hits the market the league will see for a while.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37