Dec 6, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Fans love to talk about the amnesty clause — the idea of just wiping away one of your GMs bad contracts is intoxicating. But fans are bound to be disappointed because if even five guys get waived that way this year I’d be surprised.
That said, the details of how the amnesty will work are starting to leak out.
First, teams will have a seven-day window this season to use the amnesty provision this year, and if they don’t use it the amnesty goes away to 2012, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. What those seven days are not yet known, but they will be soon.
Over at Point Forward on Sports Illustrated, Zach Lowe has a bunch of details on the amnesty provision. Here are the highlights.
• Teams will not be able to use the amnesty provision on a player acquired in a trade going forward….
• Teams will not be able to use the new “stretch” provision on players they acquire via the amnesty process… Teams can use the provision only on “new” contracts, or deals that don’t yet exist….
• Finally: If a team bids on a player in the amnesty waiver process, it is bidding on the full length of his contract, not just the first season.
So if a team were to bid on Gilbert Arenas you get him for three years, not just one, but at the price you bid. (If a team bids $5 million for him, they pick up that much of his salary, the Magic still pay the rest but it doesn’t count against their cap or tax.)
Interesting. But you will see more teams use it in a couple of years than you will this year.
- LeBron makes emotional return to Cleveland tonight, new Nike ad shows city standing together (VIDEO) 29
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 12
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 26
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 23
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 9
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 17
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 39