Dec 5, 2011, 7:16 PM EST
Eventually Jonas Valanciunas, the No. 5 pick of the Raptors this past draft, will play in Toronto. And maybe play well (he looked good in international tournaments this summer.)
Reports came up over the weekend that Valanciunas might play for the Raptors this season, but the man himself seemed to shoot that down in an interview with lithuaniabasketball.com. And the team’s director certainly did.
“I’m currently with Lietuvos Rytas and I’m not really interested in those talks. There’s a lot to be done here. I’m in Lietuvos Rytas, not the Raptors,” said Jonas Valanciunas.
The club’s sporting director Martynas Purlys confirmed that the situation hadn’t changed and that Valanciunas will only leave once the season is over.
“Jonas will stay in Lietuvos Rytas until the end of the season. This has been agreed and we are not going to break the agreement,” said the club’s official.
The Raptors say they are in the market for all the major centers out there right now — Nene, Tyson Chandler and Marc Gasol. They will almost certainly get none of them (but they had to make the effort).
If you’re going to have a down season and end up in the lottery, this is a good year to do it. There’s a deep draft coming. Then next season you bring in this year’s high pick plus a more seasoned Valanciunas and suddenly the winter seems a little warmer in Toronto.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 12
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 7
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)