Dec 5, 2011, 11:39 AM EDT
Chicago Bulls fans were frustrated with Carlos Boozers’ performance last season and let him know about it. Utah Jazz fans stood off in the corner nodding with a “we warned you” look on their face.
But Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau wants you to back off.
Thibodeau did what any good coach would do and defended his star in speaking with Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
“I felt a big part of that criticism was unjust. He didn’t have a great year, but when you look at what he did, he had a very good year and I expect him to be better this year because hopefully, he’ll be healthy,” he said. “But if you look at Carlos’ career, you’re looking at a guy who has performed at a high level and his team has won at a high level, so I’m expecting great things from him this year.”
Boozer was not bad last season, but his game did take a step back from previous years. His shooting percentage fell (from 56 percent to 51 percent) and he grabbed fewer rebounds, basically he was just off. The injuries had something to do with it, but Thibodeau defended his defense.
“I’ve said this all along about Carlos: Carlos has been one of the best defensive rebounders in this league for a long time,” Thibodeau said Thursday. “So when you evaluate our starters, defensively I thought overall, it was good. It can be better. We play a collective defense; he’s part of it.
“I think the thing that set him back last year was the injury in training camp and then missing the two months, but I also think he had stretches where he played great for us and after reviewing the film, I’ll say this,” he continued. “That he was much better defensively than he was given credit for.”
If the Bulls are going to take a step forward this year they are going to have to get more out of Boozer. They need a wing who can create shots and some depth, too, but Boozer has to be better. We’ll see how he performs when healthy.
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 0
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 20
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 16
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 53
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Watch live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay