Dec 5, 2011, 5:49 PM EST
Like the Chicago Bulls. Because who doesn’t want to play with Derrick Rose.
In the same article where Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski says the Lakers may be the frontrunners, he says the Bulls are in the mix.
What’s more, the Chicago Bulls are still a sleeper for Howard, several league executives believe. “Chicago may tell Orlando to take any two players – or three – besides Rose,” one GM said. Howard isn’t keen on the cold weather, but the Bulls would have the best point guard-center combination since Magic and Kareem.
The Bulls have Omar Asik developing fast as a potential replacement for Joakim Noah should the Bulls include Noah in a package. Noah would have to be a part of it, but would a combination of Noah and Luol Deng or Carlos Boozer – bringing back Howard and one of those bad Orlando contracts – be enough?
Normally you wouldn’t want to break up the core of a young team that went to the Eastern Conference finals last season, but Howard is the exception that would have me blowing up the Bulls. Rose and Howard, likely with Boozer (if I were Orlando I’d want Deng and Noah) would be a force that would make Chicago serious contenders for the next decade.
Orlando isn’t ready to make the trade yet, they want to find a way to keep Howard, it’s just hard to see how they do that with their current expensive but unimpressive roster. But if they decide to deal, the Bulls will get a look.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30